E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2003 E320 H&K Subwoofer Popping

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E320 Sports Keyless Go
2003 E320 H&K Subwoofer Popping

I have a 2003 E320 with H&K audio system. I have been having problems with the sub popping while playing music with deeper bass. I have taken it to the dealer several times. The last time the dealer supposed swapped the sub and amp out but I am still hearing the popping. The popping can be heard whether listening to the radio or CD. Being a wantabe audiophile, the sound is that of a blown speaker but only during certain bass pitches. When the speaker does not pop, then the bass sounds good.

I was wondering if others have had the same problems and if anyone has actually fixed it.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:35 AM

2002 S430
I have the same problem, it is due to the fact that when you're bass is too strong the compartent that the subwoofer is in pops. It is not a sealed compartent like a typical box when someone has a system installed. Don't worry it is not a blown speaker.... If you want put your bass up all the way and play a song with some bass, then put your hand in between the two back speakers in the back behind the rear passenger headrests. You'll be able to feel that section pop or lift up. It's messed up and it's always annoying when people are in your car and say "hey man your speaker is blown". Hope this helps.....
Old 04-21-2004, 10:43 AM

2003 E320 Sports Keyless Go
I had that problem too but I had the dealer add insulation in the rear cowling. This has stopped the vibration (trunk rattling) noises.

I have thought about purchasing a new sub system with an enclosed box, maybe this is what I should do.

Thanks
Old 12-04-2009, 12:18 AM

none
im having this same issue..i checked the subwoofer surround, cone, and dust cap...none seem to have a rip/tear to it. something's making it pop im not sure but i know its due to the increase in bass. i disconnected the left input to the sub and it stops popping but its much softer...vice versa with the right side. its really annoying!

Last edited by contentryder; 12-04-2009 at 01:01 AM.