E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Some questions specifically about E-wagons and their features

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 01:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 SLK230 Kompressor (RIP), 2004 E500 4matic Wagon, 2007 SL550
Some questions specifically about E-wagons and their features

Hi everyone, I've had a W211 2003 E500 sedan in my family for years now, so I'm fairly familiar with the platform in general, but I'm personally looking at an E500 (or E55 ) wagon now, and I wanted to see what I should be looking for as far as some of the options. This is the stuff that you can't find super easily online.

For starters, I'd LOVE the idea of distronic. I do a lot of highway driving on relatively open highways every day. Does anyone have experience with it? Is it worth it? Would it be worth the significant cost and effort to retrofit if the one I got didn't have it? How well does it really work? Compared to modern systems? I've used one in a modern Golf and I've wanted one ever since.

What are the wagon specific features? I've seen some with auto-close trunk, is that standard? Do all of the wagons have 3rd row seating?

This is a general W211 question, but I know you can get the heated steering wheel with the leather wrapped model, but could you on the wood model? Was it standard as long as you had the leather wrapped model?

Did they make a E320CDI version of the wagon in the US? Also, since these are 4matic (other than the unicorn 55), and it would be my first 4matic, what should I be looking for in regards to assessing the health of that system?

Which, if any, W211s came with auxiliary input, or have the ability to easily add it? I know the COMAND systems can be particularly difficult to add auxiliary to.

What other interesting and unique features could you get on the W211 that I might want to look out for?

Thanks!
Paul
Old 07-23-2017, 11:26 AM

Received 173 Likes on 104 Posts
W223 S500 LWB 4-Matic, W222 S450 LWB 4-Matic, W211 E500 4-Matic Wagon
I am only familiar with the 2004-2005 W211 series wagons. Auto close hatch is optional. 3rd row seats are optional but are really only for child sized folks. If you don't get 3rd seats you can get the optional motorized slide out rear floor platform. Sliding metal tie down racks are optional on the wagon's rear floor with or without 3rd row seats. Auto closing motorized cargo area cover is optional. We have the wooden steering wheel ($500+ option) but I don't believe you could get them heated. It appears the controller and wiring is there in mine. I'm assuming you would just have to find a decent all leather wrapped heated wheel and add the steering column stalk switch. Don't have the distronic but it would be nice for sure.

My personal interior fave is the optional The Harmon Kardon 7.1 audio system that gives you a nice sounding sub-woofer in the left quarter panel. So nice sounding that I actually sit in the wagon some nights just to listen to the audio system and how accurate it is at moderate levels. The motorized hatch is cool. All US wagons are 4-Matic.

Oh forgot to add, since gasoline prices are down definitely treat yourself to the V8; you will be glad you did. Mileage is decent with the transmission in "Comfort" mode (2nd gear starts) If set to "Sport" mode (1st gear starts) you will notice a slight decrease in mileage. I can only imagine having a neck-snapping AMG version, but would expect stuff like brakes, turbo/supercharger and other rare AMG parts to drive the cost of AMG ownership up quite a bit. Doesn't dissuade me from owing one someday. It could go down like this...I'm driving along some upscale neighborhood back road and I notice an old '05 E55 AMG wagon in a driveway. The "For Sale" sign faded and just laying on the dash by now. Of course it would be sitting on the ground due to airmatic problems that can be fixed for $1K DIY. Dead batteries a given. I trailer it home for $6K. DREAMING haha.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,379 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
-last diesel MB wagon come to America in 1992 or around
-I think all US models have 3rd seat, but check that anyway. They are rated for 50 kg from what I remember, but for Las Vegas cruise I had 2 good sized adults enjoying the view.
-self-closing is option and I think rare one.
-distronic even rarer
- it was about 2007 when MB added advanced electronics to the cars
I loved dynamic seats with massage. Rare option, but worth looking for.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts
'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
Purchase a 05 E500 wagon 4matic in Aug '15, and at that time she had 145K on the dashboard, currently at 153k. All fluids were changed out, and i do indeed stay on course with maintenance.
- Heated steering wheel
- HK system
- 3rd row seating
- V8 302 horses
- since I've owned it I ensure all routine maintenance is done, and car washed each week. Factory wheels nothing added no preservatives nor additives! Lol.

Upon purchase my indie stated car is strong which made me feel good!
- Parts I've put on was new rear pads, sensors, and brake switch (installed by me, simple fix).

Overall I really dont have any ill wills to say about the vehicle., she'll pull your cap off at a deadstop!
If you take care of it, it'll take care of you!
Well i did have sone reservation about the SBC, but upon chatting with members they assured me it would be ok and so far so good! Not afraid like i used to be when i got in the car worry about seeing a big red light on DASH!! Lol
I hope this helps your decision, but this wagon is just special, amongst the crowd of other wagons that do not compare! MB has set the bar high!
GL
2merks

Last edited by 2MERKS; 07-23-2017 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:42 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Car free at the moment
The US got five variants of the w211 wagon over the years - E320, E500, E55 AMG, E63 AMG, , and E350.

The E320 is 2004-2005 model years . Note that the 2003 E320 wagon is a w210 even though the 2003 sedan is w211. I *think* the E320 could be had in rwd or 4matic. In 2006 it became the E350 and 4matic only.

The E55 wagon is 2005-2006 only (other markets got it earlier). It's rwd. The E63 is 2007-2009.

The third row seat is optional. It's really only good for kids up to 10 years old, give or take. On the E55 adding the third row deletes the spare tire, not a good trade off. I believe the lower trims retain a spare even when equipped with the third row.

The power tailgate is an option. The main downside is that it makes it much more labor intensive to replace the gas struts which hold up the tailgate. All these cars need new struts by now. They may be ok during the summer, but when the weather cools off the tailgate will bonk you in the head.

Distronic is, in my estimation, on fewer than 10% of the AMG cars, and fewer of the lower trim lines. Holding out for it will likely mean never actually getting one of these.

The nav system s functional, but antique. Really not worth having these days. Bluetooth phone connectivity can be had, but not music streaming. Voice commands are not there either. You definitely notice the lack of modern conveniences.

I had an E55 wagon, so am most familiar with that model. The last diesel wagon we had in the US was the 1987 300TDT, a w124 wagon. Had one of those too - I'm old.