E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Help. Stuck motor mount.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 ford f150 xlt, '08 ford focus ses coupe, '08 bmw 335xi, '15 ford f150 fx4 ecoboost
Help. Stuck motor mount.

Hi folks. My 04 e500 4matic has a bad mount. Ordered oem replacements a while back and decided today would be the day to tackle it. Yesterday i replaced a front cv shaft assembly. I can conquer the world I though loudly! Haha sadly it's looking like I may be wrong.

Googled what I could, over and over I heard you need an offset 16mm wrench to get at the top bolt. I ignored that advice. The bolt is a straight shot and nothing 16" extension and a universal joint couldn't reach.

The top bolt came out super easy. Crawl under to see what the situation was down under. Removed the under tray and found the lower bolt in between where the lower control arm mounts to the sub frame. Research told me that the exhaust had to be dropped or to remove the alternator and a.c. compressor, but it looks as the will com right out the side of the engine bay.

Grabbed my ratchet and 13 mm socket and began to loosen it. Turn after turn nothing. Slid over to the other mount and the same thing. Would the factory have overtightened these to where they stripped them?

Anyone run into a similar issue or have advice on how to proceed? Short of drilling it out and getting replacement bolts I'm stumped.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
09' E350, 01' Maxima SE, 93 Nissan Maxima SE, 1987 Nissan Maxima SE
I have had replaced motor mounts, seem like you had it easy doing the top part, I had to get a MB off set motor mount wrench which it 16mm, which make it easy when I heard a crack, then the bolt moved. The bottom part I had no problem, so it not possible the factory overtighten it, since it was computer controlled torqued to whatever specification. I do not recall, the bottom was a 13mm bolt, but it's been a long time I done it. However possibility is the mount itself probably got broken aka cracked cause the bolt not to turn or possibly free spinning the threaded part inside the mount. In that case, better get some new bolts from the dealer if you are planning to drill out the old one. Now the hard part is moving the old mount out of the way while you have the engine slightly lifted up, which does takes some caressing and maneuvering around it, since you did mention you have a 4matic, gonna be a challenge, cuz mine is RWD which doesn't have any obstruction execpt of the driver side which is the steering shaft makes it hard to work around it. Good luck on that task
Old 07-26-2017, 05:05 PM

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
Do you have access to an impact gun? Try using that instead. The impact motion/force may help loose it up.