E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Conductor Plate, Suspension Pump, and Strut Failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E550
Conductor Plate, Suspension Pump, and Strut Failure

I wanted to get some opinions on what caused the sequence of events that I experienced with my 2007 E550.

I was having shifting problems. After reading up on it a little on mbworld.com, I learned that it might be the transmission conductor plate. I took it to an independent mechanic, and they confirmed that it was, in fact, the conductor plate. They indicated that it would have to serviced by the dealership (which they would facilitate). They indicated that I probably save a couple hundred dollars by not taking it directly to the dealership. Before replacing the conductor plate, the dealership dropped the pan and inspected for metal pieces/shavings. The charge for the transmission work was about $1700.

Upon picking up my car from the independent mechanic (I also had the coolant overflow tank replaced), I noticed that a suspension malfunction (the white one, not the red one) was indicated on the dash.

I drove it around for two days before returning to the mechanic to have them check it out. After they looked at it, they said that the pump for the air suspension had burnt up/shorted out. They thought that it might have been because water had entered the system through a cracked hose at the intake of the pump. The pump had to be replaced along with the "fuse" that is associated with the pump ($1400).

Two days after replacing the pump, my right front strut failed (I heard it whistling as it happened) and eventually dropped. I returned to the same garage and had that replaced ($1200).

I was wondering if anyone had a guess as to the connection between the conductor plate failure and the pump failure. It just seems too coincidental that the pump would fail while being serviced (the suspension warning was never indicated prior to taking it to the mechanic initially).

I was also wondering about the more likely connection between the new pump and the failure of the strut. Did the new pump put some type of extra stress on the struts? Should I expect the other strut(s) to fail in the near future?

-Kenneth
Old 07-27-2017, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,384 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
You are milking cow for the mechanics, so I don't blame them for keeping you as a customer.
FIY air compressor can be rebuild with $15 worth of parts and that apply to almost everything.
When I can't see connection between transmission job and airmatic failure, it is typical for mechanics to bend stuff for access instead removing it. Also not that rare the mechanic forgets to tight all the bolts. Than it could be that weak airbag blew when new compressor pump full pressure to it.
Good luck with your car.

Last edited by kajtek1; 07-27-2017 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E550
What should I have done? Would your course of action prev

What should I have done? Would your course of action prevented this sequence of events from occurring?

Originally Posted by kajtek1
You are milking cow for the mechanics, so I don't blame them for keeping you as a customer.
FIY air compressor can be rebuild with $15 worth of parts and that apply to almost everything.
When I can't see connection between transmission job and airmatic failure, it is typical for mechanics to bend stuff for access instead removing it. Also not that rare the mechanic forgets to tight all the bolts. Than it could be that weak airbag blew when new compressor pump full pressure to it.
Good luck with your car.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,384 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Read the forums before letting mechanics take your money.
My cars beat all the records for driving without putting money in them.
I prize that mainly to the fact that no mechanics are touching them.
That is not option for everybody, but if you just blindly take the car to a shop, you will be milked and in mysterious ways, with lot of shops one visit leads to chain of visit.
Can't tell what could be avoided after the facts, but spending $1400 for compressor that can be rebuild for $15 and 2 hr of labor speaks for itself.
Old 07-30-2017, 02:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 E320 CDI, '13 ML350 BT
Try to find a good shop in your area that specializes in European cars and Mercedes. Stay away from Stealership unless you really need them for something specific.

Read the forums and that knowledge, with the help of a good, trustworthy mechanic, should help you along the way save a lot of money (or spend little, however you look at it).

Check Google reviews/ratings for mechanics in your area. Check out the shop, look at how clean it is, that is usually a good indicator of how the mechanics are functioning.

It seems like you might have spent a lot and had some bad luck at the same time with more than one thing breaking. It can happen, and it is possible that it is coincidence. Also that shop maybe didn't know the compressor could be rebuilt and just sourced a new one (the whole unit to replace isn't cheap apparently).

Don't let this discourage you, just do some homework and find a good mechanic

I hope you can enjoy your car...