Heat exchange control valve again?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500
Heat exchange control valve again?!

Hi Everyone,
About 3 years ago, my 2004 E500 started blowing hot from the rear vents, and after doing some research I found out that I needed to change the heat exchange control valve. I got the part from the dealer, changed it out following pretty much the same steps mentioned in some of the threads here, and everything started work like a charm again. Last February, my car stopped blowing hot air from all vents. Could it be the heat exchange control valve again?! I do not see any error codes from the OBD scanner. The last service I did on it before this problem occurred was the replacement of the radiator hose to the expansion tank and a radiator flush. The car does not overheat or anything, and I think the system is self burping so there should not be any air in there. Any thoughts on how I should go about troubleshooting this problem?

P.S. The A.C. blows ice cold air in the summer

Last edited by medootoo; 08-07-2017 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:05 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
w211 03'
The hear exchange valve is a mechanical part, no sensors, so I dont think you'll get an error from the scanner.... I thought the issue with the heater was that it's blowing hot air instead of cold, at least that's my case, yours seems backwards. Search for a new part number in the epc, maybe you changed it with the same old part number.
The following users liked this post:
medootoo (08-08-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 772 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
medootoo,
PM me your email address and let me know if you want the HVAC diagram for your car. Might help 'cause it sounds like it might possibly be the flap actuators. I would lay money on the heat exchange control valve however.
The following users liked this post:
medootoo (08-08-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 08:20 PM

2004 E500
Originally Posted by bbirdwell
medootoo,
PM me your email address and let me know if you want the HVAC diagram for your car. Might help 'cause it sounds like it might possibly be the flap actuators. I would lay money on the heat exchange control valve however.
Will do! Any ideas about how I should troubleshoot the problem?
Old 08-08-2017, 08:29 PM

2004 E500
Originally Posted by bbirdwell
medootoo,
The initial issue I had was heat coming from the rear vents while the A.C. while the front was blowing cold air when I had the temperature on low. When I changed it 3 years ago, the problem was gone.

Now I have AC blowing ice cold air from all vents even when I have the AC on high.
This is the part no. 211 832 05 84

Isn't there an electrical connector to this valve?
Old 08-08-2017, 08:31 PM

2004 E500

Last edited by medootoo; 08-08-2017 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:35 PM

2004 E500
Originally Posted by cMazara
The hear exchange valve is a mechanical part, no sensors, so I dont think you'll get an error from the scanner.... I thought the issue with the heater was that it's blowing hot air instead of cold, at least that's my case, yours seems backwards. Search for a new part number in the epc, maybe you changed it with the same old part number.
The initial issue I had was heat coming from the rear vents while the A.C. while the front was blowing cold air when I had the temperature on low. When I changed it 3 years ago, the problem was gone.

Now I have AC blowing ice cold air from all vents even when I have the AC on high.
This is the part no. 211 832 05 84

Isn't there an electrical connector to this valve?