E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Need info on HK logic7

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML-350, Maserati Quattroporte
Need info on HK logic7

Hope someone can help. I have HK Logic7 and I'm pretty sure I have a problem the dealer is blowing off. What I notice is that if I put the balance all the way to the back all I get is distant muffled sound. If I shift balance centered on the rear seats I pretty much have all sound comming from front speakers with little if any sound contribution from rear. This causes distant hollow sound. If I sit in the back seat and center balance to middle of rear seats the sound is not great. I basically don't hear anything substantial comming out of the rear door speakers. The rear shelf speaker also sound very distant.

Is this normal. What do I tell the dealer since they give me the old: "sounds OK to me". Any info would help. If any one out there could test shifting sound to rear and telling me what it should sound like I'd appreciate it.Thanks.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
Re: Need info on HK logic7

Originally posted by jprescott
Hope someone can help. I have HK Logic7 and I'm pretty sure I have a problem the dealer is blowing off. What I notice is that if I put the balance all the way to the back all I get is distant muffled sound. If I shift balance centered on the rear seats I pretty much have all sound comming from front speakers with little if any sound contribution from rear. This causes distant hollow sound. If I sit in the back seat and center balance to middle of rear seats the sound is not great. I basically don't hear anything substantial comming out of the rear door speakers. The rear shelf speaker also sound very distant.

Is this normal. What do I tell the dealer since they give me the old: "sounds OK to me". Any info would help. If any one out there could test shifting sound to rear and telling me what it should sound like I'd appreciate it.Thanks.
seems like you have a problem;; shifting the fader to the rear makes all the sound come from the rear speakers as it shoudl; ask your service manager to try doing it on any another e-class at the dealership and see what happens...GL
Old 04-27-2004, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Re: Re: Need info on HK logic7

Originally posted by moa4r
seems like you have a problem;; shifting the fader to the rear makes all the sound come from the rear speakers as it shoudl; ask your service manager to try doing it on any another e-class at the dealership and see what happens...GL
I think this would be true if the system was set on stereo. When logic 7 is selected, this is a "surround sound" setting and believe all sound is seperated thus "surround sound"... When I set the fader all the way to the rear (in logic 7) my system doesn't sound muffled but its not great either. When returned to a more "balanced" setting the system sounds great. Try setting the stereo in the "stereo" mode then do you your testing to see if the sound is still muffled or better yet as suggested, go to the dealer and check out another car......
Old 04-27-2004, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
I have found that when the sound is set to "surround" it is electronically altered, and when the balance/fade is set to center, it is dificult to tell what is coming from where...the car is just "filled with sound". Try it in the basic stereo mode, where there is a much more artificial separation between left & right. You might be able to tell then.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:11 PM

05 C320 sport coupe
When laying out a quality sound system, the #1 rule is that the sound should come from the center front of your car. It should emulate being at a concert or show. When was the last time you were at a concert and had your back to the stage?

Ive never tested the fader so I dont know if you have a problem, but most of your sound should be coming from the front
Old 04-27-2004, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
I think the sound should fill the car not just eminate from the front. In a concert hall big money is spent on accoustics in the hall so that the sound seems to "fill the hall". You should, however be able to tell what instruments are located to the left or right side of the theater.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:46 PM

Thanks for info guys. I did check balance in stereo mode and you are correct that there is a difference . Either way I have noticed this problem after the audio gateway update I got recently. I'll take your advice and get to the dealer with a good CD and check out the difference. Bottom line is that my sound is more distant, hollow and shallow.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:09 AM

2003 E320
did you do a search before posting this?

search CAPTMIKE and you will find some info on this.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:24 PM

CAPTMIKE, yes I did thank you. I've previously tried your algorithm to check my system and nothing happens. Probably corrected by gateway update. Thanks, and I'll keep you updated.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:59 PM

2003 E320
Originally posted by jprescott
CAPTMIKE, yes I did thank you. I've previously tried your algorithm to check my system and nothing happens. Probably corrected by gateway update. Thanks, and I'll keep you updated.
Actually the gateway replacement has no effect on what was discribed in that perviouse post of mine. My gateway has been repplaced 3 times.