MBUSA Response to 320CDI Options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
MBUSA Response to 320CDI Options

A week or so ago I "vented" to MBUSA about the 2005 320CDI options and features. I was a little hot when I wrote it but I could have anticipated the response I got.

Their response is followed by my short and to the point questions I posed from the Build Your Own site.

Thank you for your recent e-mail.

We regret to learn of your dissatisfaction with our new E320CDI and the available options offered. Your comments have been noted and shared with the appropriate individuals within our company for review.

The opportunity to respond is appreciated.

Kathleen Durning
Customer Relations

Comments:
What is MB Marketing doing with the 320 CDI. The price is higher than the gas model, the option list is more restricted than the gas model, the options are higher priced, etc., etc.,etc! The free maintenance schedule is gone. Is the fan of the diesel automobile a second class citizen in the USA? Why can't a 320 CDI have the Appearance Pkg (Sport)? Why is the Premium Pkg. over a $1000 more? Why no Pano roof? Why in heavens name didn't MB just release a 320 CDI with the same option list as the E320 gas???? With these actions, the effort by MB to revive the diesel car in the USA will be a total failure. Why the hell spend more money on a diesel
model with less options? I am not alone in thinking these recent
changes are part of a contiuning decline of MB as "the car" to drive.
Introduce a few more models and no one will understand what they are
buying. Sorry for the vent but I am sick and tired of MB producing
questionable quality automobiles and making marketing decisions that seem to be beyond most buyers. I have driven MB since 1977 and I think I have leased my last one with the 2003 E320. I was counting on the 320 CDI to be placed in the wagon after a successful introduction of the sedan. But with the limitations in options and pricing difference for the diesel...I am no
longer interested. I no longer want a Chrysler Mercedes Benz in my
garage...it is not of the same ilk as my previous ones. I will look elsewhere when my lease is 50% completed.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C400, BMW X3
They must figure that diesel guys want cheap

I wondered about this too, but figured that Mercedes must have prior experience which shows that people who drive diesels aren't looking for a luxury experience, they are more practical engineer types, hence the short option list. Also, the cost of the premium package has gone up on all E class cars not just the diesel.

Be thankful you can even drive the diesel where you live since in California, I cannot.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: They must figure that diesel guys want cheap

Originally posted by shoes
I wondered about this too, but figured that Mercedes must have prior experience which shows that people who drive diesels aren't looking for a luxury experience, they are more practical engineer types, hence the short option list. Also, the cost of the premium package has gone up on all E class cars not just the diesel.

Be thankful you can even drive the diesel where you live since in California, I cannot.
Maybe in 2 years when the fuel specs allow, CA will get the diesel back.

I have had several MB diesels though the years and believe me I am not the "engineer type." Times have changed and if the diesel has more torque and power than a similar gas model, then the luxury options are very viable to the MB buyer. If they put the new 400 CDI in the S Class...are they going to offer a "cheap" version...I doubt it.

Where the Vision CLS is going to fit in all of this, who knows. They are talking about a hybrid diesel of somekind for that and that model will definitely not offer a "cheap" version for the engineers...:-)

Anyway...if they put the 320CDI in the wagon next year, I may have to reconsider my "vent" words about driving another MB..:-)
I have been pestering MBUSA for years to reintroduce the diesel wagon here.
Old 04-27-2004, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Nice letter Nevada.

But you might be banging your head against the proverbial

Regards,

John
Old 04-27-2004, 01:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I sent a "vent" email a week ago and still have not gotten a reply. If MB is marketing the CDI toward engineer types, how would it hurt to offer the same options? If we want to spend the additonal $$, why not let us?

Based on international MB sites, the CDI is cheaper to buy than the gas equivalent. I really feel by reintroducing the diesel in the States, MB is penalizing the first group of buyers by letting us pay to re-equip the dealer service departments.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by glojo
Nice letter Nevada.

But you might be banging your head against the proverbial

Regards,

John
Hi John...yeah I am sure I am.

I really wonder what focus groups MB uses to determine their marketing decisions in the US. My heart flips every time I see your signature knowing they make the car I have wanted for years but cannot obtain because someone in the bean counters office of MB figures they may lose a buck or two. I loved my '85 300TD wagon, my '90 TE and '98 TE....no diesel available.

Maybe in 2005 or 06 they will put the new V diesel in the wagon...but I dare not hold my breath.

Jack

Last edited by Nevada Jack; 04-27-2004 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally posted by Nevada Jack
My heart flips every time I see your signature knowing they make the car I have wanted for years but cannot obtain because someone in the bean counters office of MB figures they may lose a buck or two.
Sorry to hear about your disappointment, and just to add insult to injury I think I am right in saying that the Avantgarde (my vehicle) has the Appearance or Sports package.

Still in the UK we cannot get the E400CDI.

Regards,
John
Old 04-27-2004, 07:02 PM

That is really dumb to not offer the same optuions as the E320.

MB USA should bring the E320 CDI Estate, E500 (rwd) Estate, and the E55 AMG Estate here!

The CDI does have gobs more torque though.

BMW NA is plain stupid when it comes to wagons. Why no 330i Touring or 530i Touring?
Old 04-27-2004, 07:06 PM

Maybe MB USA will bring the E400 CDI here and make it a more upmarket car. The E400 CDI is a torque monster!

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/1...0d.f34.500.jpg

http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cf...id/2030213.001

http://www.edmunds.com/news/autoshow...2/page014.html