When it Rains, It Stinks -Antenna Probs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
When it Rains, It Stinks -Antenna Probs

I have found that when it has been raining all day, my trunk mounted satellite antenna produces gaps in the sound & dead air(as the receiver is looking for a signal) as if the antenna has gotten waterlogged and will either fail soon or dry out & be OK.

I have already had 1 antenna fail & be replaced (after a day of heavy rain)... and today after a night full of rain the satellite radio was cutting in & out. If this is a design flaw, I'm sure MB knows about it by now & will revise the antenna. It may pay for those looking to have Satellite installed, to ask the Service Guy, if they are aware of antennas failing & needing to be replaced due to water damage from rain. (I believe these antennas are being made by Terk for MB...
Old 04-27-2004, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500
Are you sure it's your antenna? It's just a hunch but if you have satellite tv, there are times when it rains and there's heavy cloud cover the signal strength gets so weak you lose the picture and sound. Just before it goes out completely you usually get pixellization or a mosaic pattern in the video and the sound begins to break up.

Does your sound come back after it starts to clear? If it were some kind of damage due to water I would think the sound wouldn't return as quickly.

Is there a signal strength meter somewhere in the display?
Old 04-27-2004, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
No signal strength meter. It just says "Searching for Signal", and goes out for any time between 3 seconds and 10 seconds. After I drove for a few minutes, and the wind whipped over the antenna & trunk, the satellite stayed on with no interruptions. (Don't forget I had to have 1 antenna replaced after a day of downpouring rain).
Old 04-27-2004, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
This seems crazy.... I mean, did'nt the company that makes the antennia for this system do any testing for weather proofing??? "HELLO"....This thing gets mounted OUTSIDE on the car.... Sorry to hear of your problem and hope it gets resolved quickly.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
I actually e-mailed Terk to ask if they manufacture the antenna for MB USA, and to ask if they are aware of any watertight issues. Maybe the signal drop-outs WERE weather related, but I remain skeptical, since I had 1 antenna fail within a week due to a good soaking...
Old 04-28-2004, 04:15 PM

2003 E500
I have an XM unit in my E500 with an antenna mounted on the shelf under the rear window. I also have an old Volvo with an XM unit which uses an external antenna (if memory serves, it is a Terk antenna). In neither case has the reception been affected by rain. I would be surprised if the Sirius system operated differently.

Good luck with getting everything properly installed and operational.