2008 E350 PZEV fuel tank warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 E350
2008 E350 PZVE warranty vs NON PZVE warranty

Originally Posted by cetialpha5
Yes, those are pretty standard terms, the basic new car warranty is 4 years or 50k whichever comes first. So Pzev's are out of luck if they hit 150k. Are sure your car is a Pzev? If it's not a Pzev, then it's 15 years, unlimited miles. MB just didn't extend the warranty to the Pzev cars because they were already covered by the 15/150k. But the 15 years on non Pzev cars is a bit more generous as it's unlimited miles.

So here's a kicker for ya'all ....... the warranties are EXACTLY the same for both PZVE & NON-PZVE vehicles. I have a 2008 E350 Mercedes with less than 150K miles and have had fuel odor issues the last 6-9 months. Well the Fuel Pump completely went out so I reached out to 2 local MB dealerships only to be told my vehicle is not covered but they really couldn't not tell me why. (they verified through the VIN #) so I reached out directly to MB USA for clarification. The reason (hope you are all sitting down) - my car is NOT covered because it's a PZVE vehicle yet it was sold in a NON PZVE state. How in the hell is that the fault of a consumer?? And if they are the SAME warranties, then why would that even be an issue. So very disappointed in Mercedes Benz. Will NEVER purchase another one of their vehicles again.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:26 PM

2008 E350
Robert -

Have you had much luck with MB USA??? In my recent dealings with them they are completely useless and just to repeat themselves saying "not covered" under their warranty which we both know is crock of BS. I so freaking disgusted as these large corporations take advantage of everyday consumers because they have attorneys on their payroll just sitting around for good hard working people like us. SMH
Old 06-04-2019, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,506 Likes on 1,177 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by Michelle Cuadra
So here's a kicker for ya'all ....... the warranties are EXACTLY the same for both PZVE & NON-PZVE vehicles. I have a 2008 E350 Mercedes with less than 150K miles and have had fuel odor issues the last 6-9 months. Well the Fuel Pump completely went out so I reached out to 2 local MB dealerships only to be told my vehicle is not covered but they really couldn't not tell me why. (they verified through the VIN #) so I reached out directly to MB USA for clarification. The reason (hope you are all sitting down) - my car is NOT covered because it's a PZVE vehicle yet it was sold in a NON PZVE state. How in the hell is that the fault of a consumer?? And if they are the SAME warranties, then why would that even be an issue. So very disappointed in Mercedes Benz. Will NEVER purchase another one of their vehicles again.
It's somewhat nuanced but yes, you're correct. If you read the warranty booklet, the Pzev warranty only applied if it was bought in a Pzev state and it's listed which states are Pzev and the rest are not. Who knows how your car ended up in a non-pzev state. Maybe someone wanted that car from another state so had it shipped out to their state. It's somewhat rare. Also the fuel pump isn't covered by the extended warranty, only the fuel tank is covered. However if you're smelling gas, then that's probably the leaking fuel tank, not fuel pump. When they replace the fuel tank, they also end up replacing the fuel pump.

So to clarify, they are NOT the same warranty. If the car was a non-Pzev vehicle, then the fuel tank leak was covered by an extended 15 year unlimited miles warranty. If it was a Pzev sold in a Pzev state, then only the Pzev 15/150k warranty applied. And if it was a Pzev that was sold in a non-pzev state, then only the shorter non-pzev warranty applied, depending on the state, could be as short as 2-8 years depending on the component.

As for how it's the fault of the consumer, well it's buyer beware and it's up to the buyer to do the research. This issue has come up a few times in the past in this forum and if you search the old threads, it's been mentioned a few times. If you're stuck paying the full bill, search some of the old threads, I believe other people have fixed it by replacing just the fuel pump and sealing around it and got rid of the gas smell that way. Much cheaper than replacing the entire tank. It's just what MB does when there's a fuel smell.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 412 Likes on 343 Posts
C320
So here's a kicker for ya'all ....... the warranties are EXACTLY the same for both PZVE & NON-PZVE vehicles.
No, its not.
I have a 2008 E350 Mercedes with less than 150K miles and have had fuel odor issues the last 6-9 months. Well the Fuel Pump completely went out so I reached out to 2 local MB dealerships only to be told my vehicle is not covered but they really couldn't not tell me why. (they verified through the VIN #) so I reached out directly to MB USA for clarification. The reason (hope you are all sitting down) - my car is NOT covered because it's a PZVE vehicle yet it was sold in a NON PZVE state. How in the hell is that the fault of a consumer?? And if they are the SAME warranties, then why would that even be an issue. So very disappointed in Mercedes Benz. Will NEVER purchase another one of their vehicles again.
Fuel pump failure was never covered by either extended warranty. Fuel pump failure is not an emissions issue. If you had the fuel odor for 6-9 prior to the fuel pump failure you should have contacted MBUSA then. You only have yourself to blame for ignoring the problem for so long.
Robert -

Have you had much luck with MB USA??? In my recent dealings with them they are completely useless and just to repeat themselves saying "not covered" under their warranty which we both know is crock of BS. I so freaking disgusted as these large corporations take advantage of everyday consumers because they have attorneys on their payroll just sitting around for good hard working people like us. SMH
No actually you need to work on your reading comprehension and procrastination.

Last edited by tjts1; 06-05-2019 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:28 AM

S600
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
It's somewhat nuanced but yes, you're correct. If you read the warranty booklet, the Pzev warranty only applied if it was bought in a Pzev state and it's listed which states are Pzev and the rest are not. Who knows how your car ended up in a non-pzev state. Maybe someone wanted that car from another state so had it shipped out to their state. It's somewhat rare. Also the fuel pump isn't covered by the extended warranty, only the fuel tank is covered. However if you're smelling gas, then that's probably the leaking fuel tank, not fuel pump. When they replace the fuel tank, they also end up replacing the fuel pump.

So to clarify, they are NOT the same warranty. If the car was a non-Pzev vehicle, then the fuel tank leak was covered by an extended 15 year unlimited miles warranty. If it was a Pzev sold in a Pzev state, then only the Pzev 15/150k warranty applied. And if it was a Pzev that was sold in a non-pzev state, then only the shorter non-pzev warranty applied, depending on the state, could be as short as 2-8 years depending on the component.

As for how it's the fault of the consumer, well it's buyer beware and it's up to the buyer to do the research. This issue has come up a few times in the past in this forum and if you search the old threads, it's been mentioned a few times. If you're stuck paying the full bill, search some of the old threads, I believe other people have fixed it by replacing just the fuel pump and sealing around it and got rid of the gas smell that way. Much cheaper than replacing the entire tank. It's just what MB does when there's a fuel smell.
Hi all,
I just get back from MB Park Place in Arlington TX. They denied my 2009 E350 twice as of today.
What they did is punch in my VIN with service codes and MB USA will tell if that service is under warranty, which not in my case of smelling gas when fill up
Did call MB USA and got the same answer: your VIN is not under non PZEV nor PZEV with no explaination- just straight out of their database.
But now I guess why: my VIN is PZEV, but in the warranty booklet 2009 the PZEV states listed did not mention Maryland which where my used car was original sold. In this booklet also mentioned NJ origin only effective as of Jan 2009 deliveries. Which mean 2009 model delivered before Jan 2009 will not be covered by BOTH extended or PZEV 150K mi warranty. I'm sure there's lot of cases fall in to this period
Now I have to fix this issue and wonder how much it cost for gas pump + seal + non MB mechanic labor?
Old 04-18-2021, 12:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005, CLK55
did anyone had any luck going around cheaper way on this fix?
my sister 2009 E350 had same issue at 226k miles on the car so warrenty is out and dealer want to charge $4362

I guess time to junk and parting out this car......very SAD to let go of this just because of stupid LAW and CODE regulators....
Old 04-18-2021, 12:37 PM

2005, CLK55
where did you find the extended warranty on this from MBZ official extended warranty....

pls. provide this link on information would be very helpful....

my sister '09 E350 having same issue with 226k miles on her car.....dealer asking $4,362

SAD..
Old 04-18-2021, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 412 Likes on 343 Posts
C320
Originally Posted by 8AL8
where did you find the extended warranty on this from MBZ official extended warranty....

my sister '09 E350 having same issue with 226k miles on her car.....dealer asking $4,362

SAD..
The warranty is only 150k miles.
Old 04-18-2021, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,506 Likes on 1,177 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by 8AL8

SAD..
The extended warranty is 15 year, no mileage limit. But if its a Pzev, then it's only 15 years/150k which is the original Pzev warranty. The extended warranty didn't cover Pzev because Pzev had its own warranty. Search the old threads, I think people just use the parts from the regular gas tank and just replaced the fuel pump and gasket or used RTV. The only official MB repair is to replace the tank, but I think if you just replace the parts it's probably not fully Pzev anymore but as the owner, it's probably only a few hundred as opposed to a few thousand so it depends how much you want to spend to have clean air...
Old 04-20-2021, 04:02 PM

2005, CLK55
thank you, does anyone has picture of cut away on that tank, right size don't have access hole cut out ??

I saw this on ebay, claim that it will fit for LEFT(driver) side and no need to replace anything on right side of tank?

did anyone tried to replace and worked?

thanks,
Old 04-20-2021, 04:06 PM

2005, CLK55
here is their site....it said fit on 2009 e350...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Pump-A...Cclp%3A2334524

Old 04-20-2021, 09:02 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
08 E350
However it does list that it only fits the cars without PZEV code.
Old 07-13-2022, 11:41 AM

2007 C230/2007 A3 S-Line/2004 20g STi
Does this extended warranty apply to a 2010 E63? I have been getting the fuel smell in my garage since the last fill up. Down to a quarter tank and still smell it in the garage. I have less than 150k miles.

Thanks
Old 07-13-2022, 03:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,448 Likes on 3,155 Posts
'71 Pinto
No, could be charcoal filter or possible leak @ pump and/or filter see attachments to check.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Charcoal canister.pdf (413.3 KB, 34 views)
Fuel pump.pdf (312.9 KB, 53 views)
rear seat cushion.pdf (534.3 KB, 44 views)
Open, close latch.pdf (129.1 KB, 32 views)
Locking ring.pdf (918.5 KB, 39 views)