E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2009 MB E350 Navigation Update COMAND 2017 failed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Mercedes E350 4Matic Wagon
2009 MB E350 Navigation Update COMAND 2017 failed

I tried to update my 2009 MB E350 4matic wagon with the latest Navigation update for my car. After 20 minutes of updating from disc 1 I got the following message:

"The map update is not possible. Ejecting DVD. Refer to the Operator's Manual".

Now, I cannot cancel the update. I took my car to dealership thinking they would just cancel the update via Star software. They did not have any success after 5 hours of trying to cancel this update. I can’t use the head unit right now (can’t listen radio or use the system). The suggestion is to buy a new hard drive or unit. They called some MB engineer for support but the guy did not know what to do.

Well, I looked at the engineering menu and HDD is not recognized right now. I checked MB forum and found that someone removed HDD from S class and was able to use the unit except the navigation. I removed the hard drive and plugged the unit back to the car but I still getting the same message (The map update is not possible).

I connected the hard drive to the computer and I found that 1 partition needs to be formatted. Basically, I think that during the update HDD got corrupted and the unit does not what to do. HDD is divided to 7 partitions.

“Disk L: is not formatted”. I tried to recover data from this partition.

There is not much to recover. I think that I need to format this partition to FAT32 as other partitions. The size of this partition is just 1GB. I guess that COMMAND is looking at this partition for what to do and since it can’t read it, it is stuck. The first partitions is 30GB, and there should be a map for navigation. In other partitions is the folder “Music” where I can store some audio files.
I just need some suggestions if somebody from this forum was facing a similar problem. I will wait for some suggestions but I think that the format “broken” partition is a good way and then upload the Telematics disc. This should upload some files for COMAND to HDD in my theory.

Thanks for help.

PS: I was not able to upload pictures in my new post (I'm a new member and this is my first post). Please find the attached file with some pictures in PDF document.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Navigation fix.pdf (528.9 KB, 154 views)