New E320 problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320 CDI Elegance auto
New E320 problems

Hi

Just done factory collection of E320 CDI day before Easter Friday. Guess what, 1 week after collecting have had to have 2 new shocks on the back, leaking oil. Quality = crap.

This was a exchange for my C270 CDI that was in workshop 23 days with 15 issues over 18 months. Cost me a lot to change. Loved new E Class but this is just unacceptable in a car costing this much.

I have now written to the after sales director for MB UK
Old 04-30-2004, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thats terrible!
I hope they get all the issues resolved or provide you a replacement vehicle.

Is there anything like a lemmon lay in the UK?
Old 04-30-2004, 08:41 PM

E320 CDI Elegance auto
Hi, new shocks were fitted within 1 day, everything ok at moment.

I must say that compared to the C Class forum there are very few issues being posted on here about the E Class. Maybe this is going to be a car with few problems. I hope so.
Old 05-01-2004, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Someone on another thread was asking if there is a TSB on these air suspension problems. Do you know if there was an engineering change on the air suspension parts they replaced or did you get the same types that were installed originally?
Old 05-01-2004, 06:50 PM

E320 CDI Elegance auto
Not sure, but I would have thought that the shocks being replaced after only one week from picking up from the factory that they would be the same.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:24 PM

E320 CDI Elegance auto
Hi

Just a quick update

I sent a letter to the Director of Aftersales at MB UK detailing my dissatisfaction with the fact that my car had to have new shocks fitted after 1 week.

He replied and said that he had asked for the PDI report from the factory and would come back to me when he had any details.

2 days ago a technician from MB UK phoned me and asked for all the details of my issues. He is following through with my case personally and will come back to me. He has even offered to travel the 200 miles to talk to me face to face.

I am pleased that they are giving this some focus and this is what I call good service. I seem to have managed to get some movement going. We will see with the outcome.

I also raised the issue that I had to have a phone control module replaced after 3 weeks and also that I have been waiting over 2 weeks for an answer from the tech people in Stuttgart on the mp3 problem. He is also looking into that. He did not disagree with any of my comments and accepted that this was just not acceptable quality in a car costing this much.

He said that he hoped that these were just teething problems and how did I find the car now. I said great but I was not going to get too confident after just over a week of no issues. I said to be perfectly honest with my experience with MB to date I was just waiting for the next issue to arise and I am continually on the lookout which is no way to enjoy a car of supposedly this standard.

Last edited by Apollo; 05-20-2004 at 08:30 PM.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:09 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 196 Likes on 139 Posts
Wow you got a lot more TLC from MB then any US rep would offer for such a problem. Good luck with your new baby.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:12 AM

Frankly spoken, Apollo, Aren’t you making a lot of fuzz for those minor problems? I mean, having replaced two chock absorbers isn’t that big a deal. And if you can’t make 40+ folders on the DVD MP3, that shouldn’t bother you. I’m sure you can do with less.

Why can’t you just lean back, and enjoy driving one of the best driving machine on the market, and let those minor annoyances be. If you go to one of the BMW boards or Jag boards, you will find people complaining about cars costing the same as your car.

Take care
Old 05-21-2004, 02:09 AM

E320 CDI Elegance auto
Hi

A minor issue, 2 rear shocks, u gotta be kidding. 2 new shocks and a phone control unit after only 4 weeks. Not minor in my book on a car costing this much money.

You need to remember that this car was on the Mercedes Vehicle Replacement Pragram for my previous C Class. This had 23 days off road with 15 issues in 18 months including a new auto transmission after 6 weeks. It cost me dearly to upgrade even with a good deal from Mercedes even though I have a better car. I was extremely patient then but I will not be now. My previous experience is driving me to make all this fuss. If I have more and more problems then it cannot be said that I have not kept MB informed and given them an opportunity to rectify them.

Prior to the Benz I have had 5 brand new cars and I had less probs with all of them put together than I had with the C Class.

Please tell me. do you all really think my standards and expectations are set too high. I really try to give a balanced view. I know a lot of people with cars like BMW and Volvo, they do not experience these type of issues and they are amazed that I have had them on a brand like Mercedes.

I am now enjoying my experience with my car as it has not had a fault for 10 days. Long may this continue. I will then praise MB for building such a great car with great style, quality and reliability. Believe me I would like to.

My beef about the MP3 issue is that the manual states something that the car does not do and they have taken nearly 3 weeks to give me a very simple answer. If MB come back and say that the manual is wrong then I will accept that with very little concern. If the manual is correct then Ihave a fault. At least I will then know. I do not think that is unreasonable.

Last edited by Apollo; 05-21-2004 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-21-2004, 10:42 AM

2010 BMW F10 535i
Hi Apollo,

Believe me, my w211 has as many problems as your car does:

One of the auto side mirrors became "Manual" a few days ago. The keyless-go doesn't go sometimes. Parktronic goes crazy beeping after the rainy day. Pano roof shades cannot be opened at the same time..... I have never heard a car with so many defects like this until I own one. This car really did change my life philosphy: Nothing is perfect even it's a MB!!

As what my lovely wife said: My W211 is a pretty woman but with many kinds of sexual disease. What a car!!!

Good luck !!

Steven
Old 05-21-2004, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally posted by stevenW211
My W211 is a pretty woman but with many kinds of sexual disease. What a car!!!
I've heard of catching 'these' diseases from a toilet seat BUT from a 211???

Regards
John
Windy Torquay
Old 05-21-2004, 08:24 PM

E320 CDI Elegance auto
Originally posted by stevenW211
Hi Apollo,

Believe me, my w211 has as many problems as your car does:

One of the auto side mirrors became "Manual" a few days ago. The keyless-go doesn't go sometimes. Parktronic goes crazy beeping after the rainy day. Pano roof shades cannot be opened at the same time..... I have never heard a car with so many defects like this until I own one. This car really did change my life philosphy: Nothing is perfect even it's a MB!!

As what my lovely wife said: My W211 is a pretty woman but with many kinds of sexual disease. What a car!!!

Good luck !!

Steven
Hi there, I love your wifes comparison for your car.

If I told you what my wife said about my W211 I would be banned from this forum

I am not glad you have problems but I can take some reassurance that I am not the only one who thinks this is not acceptable quality. By some of the responses I was getting I was thinking that I was abnormal slagging off these standards and MB.

Last edited by Apollo; 05-22-2004 at 07:26 AM.
Old 05-22-2004, 07:24 AM

E320 CDI Elegance auto
Hi

Well my car is now in the body shop having the bonnet resprayed. I have been given a Nissan Almera. What a pile of junk. This has helped me realise how nice my W211 is when its working correctly.
Old 05-23-2004, 10:42 AM

2010 BMW F10 535i
Hi Apollo,

Don't worry, you're absolutely normal. Say NO to all the defective things even it's a MB.

B.Rgds.,
Steven
Old 06-20-2004, 09:11 AM

E320 CDI Elegance auto
Hi

Update

MB UK Technician has finally said after his investigation that the problem i had came from faulty shocks for airmatic fitted at factory.

He also said that MB have a major drive on at the moment on reliability.