E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Nanotechnology paint on Wheels ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2004 | 08:20 PM

06 C 350 2014 GLK350
Nanotechnology paint on Wheels ???

Does anyone know if the nanotechnology paint is on the 05 wheels? Based on what I have read, it would greatly help to minimize the brake dust accumulation.
Old 05-01-2004 | 09:26 PM

Re: Nanotechnology paint on Wheels ???

Originally posted by MB-JIM
Does anyone know if the nanotechnology paint is on the 05 wheels? Based on what I have read, it would greatly help to minimize the brake dust accumulation.
I don't think so. The wheels are not produced by MB.

Why not give them some good wax? Try Meguiars NXT Tech Wax!
Old 05-01-2004 | 09:38 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

2003 CL55 AMG
Re: Nanotechnology paint on Wheels ???

Nano clear would have nothing to do with less brake dust accumulation -- at this time. The brake dust accumulation would be exactly the same.
Old 05-01-2004 | 10:01 PM

04' E500 w/Appear. PKG, Panorama Roof
What advantage does the Meguires present? I use the Zaino on the wheels and they still accumulate dust but clean easily. Does the Meguires not allow the dust to accumulate at all or almost ?
Old 05-01-2004 | 10:14 PM

06 C 350 2014 GLK350
Quoting from Daimler Chrysler Hightech Report Issue #1 2003 page 31:
"Daimler Chrysler Research is applying the same lotus effect (Nano Technoloogy)
to its efforftss to develop self-cleaning wheel rims....."
Old 05-01-2004 | 10:20 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

2003 CL55 AMG
Quoting from Daimler Chrysler Hightech Report Issue #1 2003 page 31:
"Daimler Chrysler Research is applying the same lotus effect (Nano Technoloogy)
to its efforftss to develop self-cleaning wheel rims....."

I know the article you are speaking of. Basically they talked about the new Nano Technology and how it is a major step forward. Later in the article on a totally different note, they talk about how they might be able to develop self cleaning wheels, however, this is a ways off.

I will try to find the full article again.
Old 05-01-2004 | 10:23 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

2003 CL55 AMG
Found it.

Here is the part of the article you refered to:

"Self-cleaning wheels and paints with integrated solar cells

Nano-technology has a big future in automotive construction. In addition to their use in paints with increased scratch resistance, nano-particles will be employed in the future to produce self-cleaning surfaces. Indeed, DaimlerChrysler research engineers are currently working on wheels for passenger cars whose nano-structured surface has dirt-deflecting properties. It is also within the realms of possibility that the cars of the future will feature either paintwork or an extremely thin foil coating containing tiny solar cells. These would convert the sun’s light into electric energy, which in turn would be fed into the vehicle’s power supply.

Nano-particles are also set to take on important tasks in the world of medicine. For example, ”nanosphors” – mini beams of light produced by light phosphors like those used in light sticks – dock onto viruses, bacteria or other selected cells and make them visible using their fluorescent light. A drop of blood, some saliva or a few body cells would be sufficient to identify diseases or to diagnose a lack of tolerance to a certain medication. Currently, complex and expensive laboratory tests are required to achieve the same aims.

There’s no doubt about it, the future is full of potential for nano-technology, which has the power to influence many areas of our daily lives. However, the scientists in the field have a lot of work ahead of them, with the properties of only around a fifth of the 90 usable elements in the periodic system so far assessed for their ”nano-compatibility”.

There is much potential still to explore and many nano-inspired products, some of which we may not have even thought of yet, still to invent."

The full article can be read
Here . Page 3 is where I found the portion I quoted.
Old 05-02-2004 | 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E320
I've tried Meguiars NXT Tech Wax on my wheels and they still accumulate brake dust just from driving around several blocks.
Old 05-02-2004 | 09:40 PM

04' E500 w/Appear. PKG, Panorama Roof
Damm Brake Dust- Even stains my drive..... Oh well small price for the performance I get.