E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

BMW M5 with V-10

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2002 | 10:41 PM

E class, S class, Toyota Supra twin turbo, Mazda Miata, Toyota Land Cruiser
Smile BMW M5 with V-10

Do you think MB would have brought out the 450hp "de-tuned" version of the SL55K engine in the upcoming E55K if the folks over at BMW had not decided for a V-10 M5? The M5 is to have about 500hp, just enough to overshadow the E55k. In the handling department the M5 will probably edge out the E as well but for my money I would still go with the Merc. It is far better looking for one. The new 5-series looks like an uglier version of the 7-series, if that is possible. A thing of beauty is a joy for no matter how long you own it and an ugly thing, no matter how accomplished, pains you to look at it, especially if you spend so much money on it.
Old 04-12-2002 | 09:46 AM

CLK55, Mini S
I think MB had to keep the power up for the new E55k or it would just be an "average" special edition sedan. With the M5 and Audi 6 coming out with 450hp+, and the Jag S-R with 400hp, the E55k needs every HP it can musters just to stay in the competition, speed-wise anyway. I still think it the new E will be well beyond the others in technology...usable technology.

I may have to take a look at the M5. It may be ugly, but that is a matter of taste. I certainly don't want some kind of idiotic gizmo I-drive crap like the 7 series...and if their dealers are going to mark up every one, including ordered cars like they did with the Z8, I'll surely pass. Personally, I hate to buy the first year of any new model car. They can only get better.
Old 04-12-2002 | 11:17 AM

E class, S class, Toyota Supra twin turbo, Mazda Miata, Toyota Land Cruiser
i-Drive

The 5-series cars will reportedly have a newer version of the i-drive. Supposedly more user friendly. Beauty is ofcourse in the eye of the beholder but we should not have very long to wait to see the final version.
I agree with you about first year models. These always have glitches and niggling problems. I am far enough down on the E55K waiting list that I will not be getting into one until the second model year of the w211 version.