E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

ABS & EPS messages come on but O2 sensor error!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 04:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
W211 CDI
ABS & EPS messages come on but O2 sensor error!

Hello!
I am facing a strange situation. My car is showing ABS and ESP messages (with the usual tightening of the power steering!), but when I read the error codes, it states that both Banks 1 and 2 O2 sensor1s are the issues.

Has anyone encountered this problem? I must also say that I do smell a different exhaust smell.
Regards,
Farid
Old 11-18-2017, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,148 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
ABS and ESP are separate systems. You have a bunch of things going on at the same time. You need something that reads MB specific codes, you won't get ABS or ESP error codes out of a regular OBDII scanner, those just do engine and emissions codes. ABS and ESP error messages can be lots of things, if it were ABS, either a bad sensor or seal, ESP could be bad steering angle sensor or the wheel speed sensors or many other things. Only real way to tell is to get it scanned either at a MB dealer or get a scanner that does MB specific codes, either Carly, icarsoft, Launch X431 EasyDiag, Autel, lots others out there.
The following users liked this post:
Faridtaheri (11-19-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 12:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
W211 CDI
Hello cetialpha5:
You were absolutely right. As it turned out, after diagnosing with the Star system, it turned out the rear ABS (or speed sensor as the Start system refers to) was the culprit.

The Star did not say anything about the O2 sensor, which makes me doubt what these code reader can do!
Thanks again!
Farid