E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

RUPTURED FUEL TANK Reimbursement/Warranty concerns

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 11:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2005 E500 AMG Appearance Pkg
FUEL PUMP Fails Reimbursement/Warranty question concerns

This past Monday I needed an oil change, smog check, and my headlights aimed, nothing major league. Mechanic I usually go to was busy.
I went to someone else recommended to me. Next day on Tuesday he calls and says he cant do smog because I have to drive the car for 60 miles
(I disconncected the battery prior) I said ok I will pick it up later and perform drive cycle and bring it back. Shortly thereafter he calls and says the
car - wont - start. Last thing I thought he would say at that moment. He keeps the car until the next day (Wednesday) and I dont hear from him so
I text him Wednesday at noon and tell him that if its not the battery it most likely has something to do with the Fuel pump/Fuel Tank which is under
warranty until 2020. At 5PM right before he closes he calls and says the fuel tank (actually fuel pump not tank) failed and that he replaced it and hands me a +$600 bill.
At this point I'm upset because who performs a repair without notice or approval? I mention the text message and his lack of communication
and he says that I text him after the repairs were already completed.

My concern stems from my distrust of the mechanic for ethical reasons and I have no idea if the parts he used or anything related to his work on the fuel tank and related
parts is adequate or up to spec. Mercedes indicates that repairs under this warranty should be done at the dealer whenever possible. Can I have the
dealer review the work done on the fuel tank and if they find anything wrong will they fix it, and will it jeopardize the reimbursement I plan to ask for?

The letter from Mercedes regarding the warranty extension titles the paragraph "Reimbursement to Customers for Repairs Performed Prior to Warranty
Extension"
. Does this exclude the repairs I just paid for?

Please if you have any relevant information let me know.

Last edited by efonz; 11-24-2017 at 04:17 AM. Reason: Fuel pump not fuel tank
Old 11-24-2017, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 256 Likes on 233 Posts
2001 E320 Wagon, 2006 LBZ Silverado, 2007 E63 (sold), 2001 E55 (sold)
I believe you must use OEM parts to be reimbursed for having it done at an indy shop. If he only charged you $600, he didn't replace the whole tank with a new Mercedes one. It's a $3,000+ job at the dealer.

I'd go after the guy and wouldn't pay since he didn't get your approval to replace the tank. He sounds pretty shady.
The following users liked this post:
efonz (11-24-2017)
Old 11-24-2017, 04:06 AM

you are right i assumed the worst and understood fuel tank with the recall in mind but the receipt states fuel pump so i think upwards of $600 sounds about right?
Anyway thank you Strigoi for noticing the price difference w regards to the fuel tank i would have never checked if it wasnt for your comment.

i dont think oem parts are necessary for reimbursement, the warranty booklet states that mercedes parts arent required but are recommended, think its safe to assume the
same applies for reimbursement.

anyone else have a suggestion or advice before i head to the dealer tmmrw morning?

Last edited by efonz; 11-24-2017 at 04:09 AM. Reason: read/understood
Old 11-24-2017, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 257 Likes on 228 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2008 ML550 4Matic; 2004 C320
Originally Posted by Strigoi
I'd go after the guy and wouldn't pay since he didn't get your approval to replace the tank. He sounds pretty shady.
I agree with Strigoi, this is pretty bad business practice for sure.

I just had mine done 2 weeks ago at the dealer, all in all, including fuel tank the dealer tells me he will invoice MB approx. 3400 dollars for the warranty work completed on my car.
I think you are correct that OEM parts do NOT HAVE TO be used, so I would inquire with the dealer.

Good luck!

Last edited by S70Houston; 11-24-2017 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:31 PM

Okay i just got back from the dealership and I hope the following helps someone out in the future.
If you plan on getting a reimbursement for work done in relation to the fuel tank and or fuel pump
relevant documents such as the invoice has to state the initial problem was the smell of gasoline
in the cabin which then resulted in repairs being made to components of the fuel tank assembly.
with so many w211 owners reporting smelling gasoline it would suck if you weren't reimbursed
because an invoice didn't use the right words. the reasons as to why mercedes does this are valid
and more can be said but if you smelled gasoline in your car and had work done to replace a fuel tank
component and are seeking reimbursement make sure you detail the problem correctly.