Very strange ESP/ABS problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 09:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
W211 CDI
Very strange ESP/ABS problem

Hello friends:
- My CDI sat in the garage for a period of 5 months. After that period, I started the car and the good ol "ESP/ABS Malfunction message appeared on the dash.
Checked the ECU, and DAS stated that the left rear speed sensor was the issue. I bought a new sensor and replaced it, erased the error, drove the car, the same message came on.

- I checked the rotors and discovered that they were badly rusted. Replaced the rotors. Erased the message, drove, the same message appeared.

- I thought maybe the new sensor was defective. Switched the right and left sensors; erased the message, drove the car, the same message appeared.
Still, DAS says the left rear speed sensor is the issue (the exact error reads: "4537 check component L6/3 (left rear speed sensor). As for the possible causes, and remedies DAS suggests:
1. Inspect component RPM sensor for correct installation position (I believe the installation is correct, especially after switching the left with right side sensors).
2. Inspect distance rotor to sensor. (what this means beats me! anyone knows anything about this?!)
3. Inspect installation and condition of the rotor (which I have done, and replaced it with a new one).

Any hint/help would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Farid
Old 12-02-2017, 10:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Remove the sensor and spin the axle to see if rust or something else has built up on the "teeth" that the sensor reads.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
W211 CDI
Thanks for the suggestion Bryan. I had forgotten to write that this is another thing that I had done. I tried to stick a flathead screwdriver in the hole that ABS sensor sits, and then rotated the hub, and compressed air cleaned it. It, however, did not resolve the problem though!
Cheers
Farid