Car died on wife

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 01:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 e320 w211 211.066/112.949
Question Great info...

Originally Posted by Andre91
This car really needs to be hooked up to a Star Diagnostics machine before throwing any more parts at it. It sounds like there are a lot of faults from seemingly unrelated components - which could be an electrical problem. It could be something as simple as a bad battery or alternator, there are so many electronics in these (and all modern cars) and they're sensitive to low voltage. There are also a couple of signal acquisition modules (SAM), one front and one rear, that all of the different modules in the car connect through. Think of the SAM as a network router, all of the data flowing between the various components in the car flows through one or both of these modules. These don't often go bad unless they've been wet or damaged, but if one has developed a problem it could cause all kinds of strange behavior. A Star Diagnostics scan will really narrow things down.

The Brake warning usually means it's time to replace the SBC pump, or it could be something as simple as a bad brake pedal switch, or another electrical problem. The pump can be checked with Star and the number of remaining pedal actuations will be shown. The pump is designed to trigger that alert and put the car into a limp mode after a preset number of pedal actuations as sort of a safety measure against unexpected pump failure while driving. A tech can run other diagnostics on the brake pump through SDS as well.
Thanks for all the great information. Is Star Diagnostics only through MB? I just ordered a ICARSOFT MBII FOR MERCEDES BENZ/SPRINTER/SMART off ebay... Will I be able to do a decent diagnostics with that to at least be able to eliminate some things? Like being able to check the SBC pump & SAMs?
Old 12-29-2017, 10:52 PM

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
2012 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by Beatz
Thanks for all the great information. Is Star Diagnostics only through MB? I just ordered a ICARSOFT MBII FOR MERCEDES BENZ/SPRINTER/SMART off ebay... Will I be able to do a decent diagnostics with that to at least be able to eliminate some things? Like being able to check the SBC pump & SAMs?
Generally only the dealer, but some better independent Mercedes or European specialty shops may have one as well. I've looked at the MBII scanner but haven't ordered one myself yet, so I can't say for sure what it can and can't do. It sounds like it can do a lot, though.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:06 PM

Scanner is in...

Originally Posted by Andre91
Generally only the dealer, but some better independent Mercedes or European specialty shops may have one as well. I've looked at the MBII scanner but haven't ordered one myself yet, so I can't say for sure what it can and can't do. It sounds like it can do a lot, though.
I just got an email that the scanner is out for delivery. I will read over the manual this week and run a scan tonight. Then I'll post my findings. I replaced the passenger caliper/pads. Still getting the brake warning light and loss of power. It doesn't seem to be doing it when I slam on the brakes though anymore. Just whenever it wants. I really want to find out what's tripping it. I also need to check the fuses to see why the seats, locks, steering column, and hazards all don't work. The ESP, Check engine, brake warning and ABS lights are on. All these stopped working when I removed the front console when I replaced the piece in the steering wheel to move it up and down. It was working to test it out but then everything went when the car stopped starting (fuel pump). Hopefully resetting the codes will help. Will update tonight.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 129 Posts
not a merc
Check comms with upper control panel, maybe you left a plug loose when you had console out
Old 01-02-2018, 08:22 PM

I love this scanner!!!

Still getting codes...

Transmission
P2316 Fault in CAN communication with control unit A1 (Instrument cluster)
P2316 One or more messages from control unit N19(Air conditioning control module) are not available on the CAN bus.
ME2-SFI-Motor Eletronics
P203E BUS signal error from combination instrument (P0600)
P203E No CAN message from instrument cluster or message faulty.(P0600)
P20C3 component G3/14 (right O2 sensor,after CAT,cylinder 4-6) heating,supply voltage (P0141)
P20C3 Heating of component G3/5 (Left O2 sensor,after TWC[KAT]),Voltage supply (P0141)
SBC-Sensontronic Brake Control
C2517???
ESP-Electronic Stability Program
C14BE???

I can't find any info on these last two codes. I know the others are from the instrument cluster and 02 sensors.

I was reading on the SBC system. I did not know that when working on the system you had to deactivate it. When I changed the right front caliper I didn't deactivate the system. Luckily I did not get shot in the face with a caliper piston. Now I am getting these ESP lights and car jumping into "limp mode". I tried to reset the SBC with my iCarSoft MB II but it failed to deactivate and reactivate. I am getting 4.4 bars compared to 68.3 bars on my caliper I just replaced. I tried to bleed them with a hand vacuum pump but I wasn't getting any fluid. Does anyone know why this could be and how to fix it? I tried to reset the ECU by turning the key on, holding the gas down, turn the key off, wait 10 sec then release the pedal, wait 2 mins then start up. This seemed to work but the car jumped back into limp mode just a few more miles later.

Last edited by Beatz; 01-04-2018 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Correction...
The following users liked this post:
kajtek1 (01-02-2018)
Old 09-16-2019, 09:55 PM

Update

The SBC pump was bad and got it replaced on 2014 recall.