Rear control-arm to sub-frame bushing trouble

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
Rear control-arm to sub-frame bushing trouble

Dear W211 Gurus:
A task that could have taken one hour at most has consumed three days of my Christmas holidays!
I wanted to take my 2005 E30-CDI's rear control arm off but got into a serious mess. When I tried to get the bolt that connects the control arm to sub-frame, its rusty head stripped. The bolt would not budge whatsoever!
I first put a vise-gripon the threaded end that was sticking out about a 1/2", trying to rotate the rusted frozen bolt but it was impossible to move it. I then I thought I would cut the head out and hammer the bolt out. After cutting the head and putting a pneumatic hammer and chisel to the bolt, it did not budge even a mm! You can see the chisel mark digging into the bolt reminisce on the first picture in below.

I then used a ball-joint extractor to force the bolt out. I put a huge amount of force, but with no success in getting the bolt to move even a mm.

At this stage, I attempted to get the entire bushing out. No matter how much force I put on the bushing via the balljoint extractor, that darn thing did not move.

I ask for your suggestions. What the heck is going on?! Am I missing something? This bolt should have come out with

The issue!
a limited amount of force. I must be missing a trick. I would appreciate any constructive suggestions.
Cheers,
Farid