E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

08’ E350 cluster stopped working ( and started working again )

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 clk500
08’ E350 cluster stopped working ( and started working again )

Hi everyone,

Wow ! I have not been on this site ever since I got rid of my CLK500 in 2012.

After many BMWs, I have finally bought another MB.

I bought the car in July of last year and it is in immaculate condition. It’s been trouble free until Jan 1 morning ( way to start 2018 ). I turned on my car in the morning and I noticed that the dashboard did not turn on.

Since my mechanic was on vacation until the following week I just drove it like that until I was able to make an apt with him. I noticed that after the 2nd day, the dashboard randomly turned on but the screen did not look normal. The digits looked as they were almost disappearing ( kind’ve when you drop your phone in water and you have a whitish screen )

The screen worked for a few hours, turned back on throwing all lights including SRS, ESP , etc, turned off and never turned back on ..... until yesterday.

Yesterday I turned on the car and the cluster was working and was 100 percent functional like if nothing ever happened. I found it odd and expected for it turn off or malfunction but it worked properly the whole day and night. This morning I woke up nervously and expecting the cluster to not work and to my surprise, it was another day with a fully functional cluster !

at this point I am thinking, what the hell is going on ? Anybody have an idea of what the problem could be ?

When I took it to the shop while the cluster was not functioning, they recommended to purchase a replacement one as the car scanner was reading that the cluster was non existent basically. I was going to purchase a new one this week but I held up on it as my car is working correctly .

what are your opionions ? Any same experiences ?

thank you all !
Old 01-09-2018, 09:08 PM

2005 clk500
Originally Posted by 5double0
Hi everyone,

Wow ! I have not been on this site ever since I got rid of my CLK500 in 2012.

After many BMWs, I have finally bought another MB.

I bought the car in July of last year and it is in immaculate condition. It’s been trouble free until Jan 1 morning ( way to start 2018 ). I turned on my car in the morning and I noticed that the dashboard did not turn on.

Since my mechanic was on vacation until the following week I just drove it like that until I was able to make an apt with him. I noticed that after the 2nd day, the dashboard randomly turned on but the screen did not look normal. The digits looked as they were almost disappearing ( kind’ve when you drop your phone in water and you have a whitish screen )

The screen worked for a few hours, turned back on throwing all lights including SRS, ESP , etc, turned off and never turned back on ..... until yesterday.

Yesterday I turned on the car and the cluster was working and was 100 percent functional like if nothing ever happened. I found it odd and expected for it turn off or malfunction but it worked properly the whole day and night. This morning I woke up nervously and expecting the cluster to not work and to my surprise, it was another day with a fully functional cluster !

at this point I am thinking, what the hell is going on ? Anybody have an idea of what the problem could be ?

When I took it to the shop while the cluster was not functioning, they recommended to purchase a replacement one as the car scanner was reading that the cluster was non existent basically. I was going to purchase a new one this week but I held up on it as my car is working correctly .

what are your opionions ? Any same experiences ?

thank you all !
I would like to add that I noticed that when the cluster went out, my parking side mirrors would move down when backing up. Now that the cluster started working, they are non functioning (again) I am so confused
Old 01-09-2018, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,150 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Cluster malfunctions are also one of those MB things. I think you can get it sent out and have them rebuilt. You don't mention where you are, but if it was cold, I'd suspect a loose connection or with all those error messages, maybe a weak battery/alternator.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:01 PM

2005 clk500
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
Cluster malfunctions are also one of those MB things. I think you can get it sent out and have them rebuilt. You don't mention where you are, but if it was cold, I'd suspect a loose connection or with all those error messages, maybe a weak battery/alternator.
I am actually in Miami. That week we had a temperature drop and it got down to the 40s which is extremely unusual. I will look into getting it rebuilt, just don’t know where to get it done.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,150 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Well just search around for instrument cluster repair/rebuild. There's a few companies that do it. Here's one in FL.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2115405848-...e/271124912015

Also I'd make sure the cluster is really bad and not some other wiring or connection to the cluster problem.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:49 PM

2005 clk500
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
Well just search around for instrument cluster repair/rebuild. There's a few companies that do it. Here's one in FL.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2115405848-...e/271124912015

Also I'd make sure the cluster is really bad and not some other wiring or connection to the cluster problem.
That was extremely helpful ! Thanks a lot ! I have saved their info, they are only about 40-50 miles away from me