A/C system weak?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 BMW 550i
A/C system weak?

After a few days here in Northern NJ, this is the first time that I have really had to use the A/C system during any type of real heat. Does anyone else think that it is a little weak? 90 degree weather, and the thing was working certainly, but it didn't seem like it should. In my previous Lexus, the system deliverd ice cold air and was very effective.
Old 05-12-2004, 01:52 PM
BEC

E-500
I had the same problem, and also previously owned a Lexus, which also delivered ice cold air.

Eventually, my system only blew hot air. The dealer found a freon leak due to a hose connection that was not tight.

The car is now comfortable again.
Old 05-12-2004, 01:56 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
I've noticed that the system on my '03 E500 seems to default to cool air delivered at high volume (initially) instead of cold air delivered at low volume. I wonder, though, if MB made the choice of mixing in lots of outside air to avoid over-chilling our sensitive epidermi. Any M-B A/C experts out there? It hasn't been warm enough yet to tell what the system will do under full demand, though. Ask me again in July, when the temperature in the sunny Central Valley can hit 110F/43C.
Old 05-12-2004, 03:04 PM

2003 E-500
I've found the Air Conditioning in both of my '03 E-500's work very well. In several trips last year across the desserts of CA. NV, NM, AZ and UT with temperatures in the100's up to 118, it has worked well with Auto setting for both sides and temperature set at 72. If sunroof is not covered, it will blow more cold air at higher speed. When you enter the car after it's been sitting in the sun, the fan will blow a lot of air but it takes several minutes for it to blow cold air as the system is heat soaked.

I believe MB has done a pretty good job with W-211 HVAC. My previous '97 E-320 system did not work nearly as well in high heat.
Old 05-12-2004, 04:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 E55
my has been delivering high vol cool air instead of cold air. Last week when weather was hot in the bay area. My fan would go to max and deliver cool air only. It takes about 20 minutes or so to cool down the car.
Old 05-12-2004, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
'04 E 500 AC

Today took a trip from L.I. to Boston almost 88 degr outside. A/C is always VERY cold, (I usually keep it a 73) had to raise the temp setting to 74-75 because it got too cold inside. Have the dlr check it out, yours needs service. I am a "big" guy, always warm & the car is cold inside. It works better the hotter & dryer it is outside, but it was humid out today & I was happy. My Dad's '02 has weak, almost poor A/C, so this was a concern of mine.
Old 05-12-2004, 06:59 PM

2007 S550
Overall the A/C is simply not powerful enough initially to overcome very high or low temperatures. The first few months I had my '03 E500 I really hated the air. Compared to my old ML it was terrible. Of course in time I've gotten used to it, and when it’s really hot I close all the rear vents and the passenger vent to get the most air flow I can.

Once the air is up and running the system is amazing, you can be in snow outside and not notice anything inside, or in blistering heat outside without anything noticeable from the inside.

Also, the 4-zone feature is really great, the only thing lacking is the ability to only use 2-zone when you are driving alone, and the inability to sync up the airs. Often the reason the front isn't at full speed when its hot is that the rear temps are on a warmer setting. I spend a lot of time with a very tight knit group of friends, and we've never managed to agree on temperature, now everyone has their own climate (and you can get some amazing temperature variances around the car) and everyone is happy.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:52 PM

04' E500 w/Appear. PKG, Panorama Roof
When it is really hot here in Texas I use the "summer" feature which opens the windows and the pano before entry. Since I have AVS seats, it also starts the blowers in the drivers seat. My A/C blows very cold all the time, but using the "summer" feature helps with the initial cool down even if you only open it, get in and start driving. Try it.
Old 05-12-2004, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Re: A/C system weak?

That's typical Mercedes AC. My original Benz, I thought the AC had not charge, only to get dealer to tell me that it's "normal".

My 98 E320, AC suck compared to my Lexus GS.

My 04 E320, AC still sucks, big time (they take away the digical climate control, it's now a cheap crap turn knob) !!!.

I guess since they don't use AC in Germany, they just don't put much effort into engineering a good AC system !!.

Originally posted by alewifebp
After a few days here in Northern NJ, this is the first time that I have really had to use the A/C system during any type of real heat. Does anyone else think that it is a little weak? 90 degree weather, and the thing was working certainly, but it didn't seem like it should. In my previous Lexus, the system deliverd ice cold air and was very effective.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
Yeah, it was in my GS that it had both great heat and A/C. Another thing that it did that the MB doesn't is that it ramped up the intensity. So in cold weather, you would get nothing until the engine warmed up the car enough to give you heat. And it was gradual with the A/C to.

I'm bringing it in for service very soon, so I'll have them check it out.

And I agree with marksatex. During the really hot days, I will roll all of the windows down before getting in to the car, just to help get a little bit of that hot air out.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
On my '04 E 500, there is a button on the A/C switch panel which links the front & rear temp controlls to be at the same temp. It has a picture of the front & rear seats on it. Press it & set the new temp on the driver's side to whatever you want & all the temp settings on the left of the car will be the same. The Rights have to be adusted to match the lefts, as usuall. Then all the outlets will be the same temp Right to Left, Front to Rear.

Of course when you get into the parked car you should open at least the 2 front windows & the sun roof for a couple of minutes with the A/C running to evacuate the superheated air from the cabin so you dont make the unit try to cool 180 degree air. It only should have to cool whatever the ambient outside air temperature is.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 05-13-2004 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Mine works flawlessly, its loud at start up when its trying to cope with the Texas heat, but quickly cools the cabin down.
Old 05-14-2004, 04:21 AM

My issue isn't with the AC (which I've found works fine in my 04 e320 - yes, there's a lag before it really kicks in, butI find that both understandable and tolerable)

Rather, I found the heater to be the problem. It seems that randomly my system decides that cold air is hot air. Yet, the thermometer disagrees. So, on a cold night, I'll turn the temp to 76 and instead of pushing a moderate amount of temperate air, mys system will crank out cold air. Almost as if it thinks its pushing warm air but the temperature is dropping... so it pushses more "warm" air . Which just makes things worse. Anyone else seen this?
Old 05-14-2004, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
Yes, I actually posted in a previous thread about this issue. You literally have to stop the car and let it sit off for a while for it to reset itself. I've had this happen a handful of times.

Otherwise the 4 zone works great in the winter months, and is one of the few multizone systems that really eqaulizes the temps well across all four zones. The dual zone in my Lexus, while much more powerful, was also punishing if the passenger wanted to have a temp that was much different than the driver.