E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Aftermarket Backup Cameras??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 05:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 Mercedes E350 W211
Aftermarket Backup Cameras??

I have a 2007 e350, pretty much base model. But before tinting the windows I wanted to install a back up camera for it. I didn't want a secondary screen somewhere for it, so I'm looking into the rear view mirror backup cameras.
I've been looking online and I've seen some, but I was just wondering if any of you have found some that work good. I'm open to either replacement rear view mirrors with the built in screen, or the clip over kind.
Picture quality doesn't need to be top notch, but I just want to be able to see behind me, especially with limo tint at night.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,393 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
The subject is not easy as from thousands of possibilities only few will work.
Typical back up cameras offer narrow angle, what is not good for trunk lid location.
Than add-on LCD will not look good. Some owners upgraded their command centers with androids, what I way better way to see the camera view on main screen.
I also have limo tint on our W212 and installed traffic double camera that let me see the rear. Not very good picture on 2.5" LCD, but it is something.
Good luck on your search.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:27 AM

Received 130 Likes on 105 Posts
20' RCF, 18' NX, 09' E350, 07' Solara, 05' STi, 01' Ranger
Arrow

I know with the NTG 2.5 you can add a camera to the headunit. That's what I did with ours. I used a Rydeen Duo camera. Looks pretty OEM to be honest. Coded the head unit so that when I put it in reverse it automatically switches to the rear camera if the head unit is on.

With a 2007 I'm not sure if the stock headunit has the connection on the back of it. I tend to stick with either Crimerstopper or Rydeen for backup cameras. In my STi an Ranger I have the crimestopper cameras. My STi has had the same camera on it now for 10+ years. Zero issues. Ranger is going on 5+ years. I'm installing on in my wife Toyota, and her Lexus already has every bell and whistle imaginable so I'm off the hook on that one...lol

I'd be able to see more on the screen if Mercedes didn't put that stupid warning/label at the bottom when reversing.

Hopefully the pictures help in terms of location where to mount. Note that the output shots below are when I was holding the camera out the driver side window. I was testing everything out 100% before drilling any holes in the car to find out that something wasn't working...etc.

-Nigel
The following users liked this post:
bizzy247 (01-23-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 11:07 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
'06 R53
^ You posted views holding the camera out the door but none after it was mounted. Would you happen to have a picture of the view after you mounted it?

How involved was the install? Is there a DIY you followed to code the headunit?
Old 01-18-2018, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML
camera for your oem screen

I added this Mercedes Backup Camera from BAM Auto Safety for my 2012 C class. It connects to the factory screen. I'm pretty sure the it goes as early as 2005 or so. You should check them out. So, far so good for me.

P.S. They're pretty good about giving out discounts if you ask ;-)
Old 01-19-2018, 03:36 AM

Received 130 Likes on 105 Posts
20' RCF, 18' NX, 09' E350, 07' Solara, 05' STi, 01' Ranger
Arrow

Originally Posted by bizzy247
^ You posted views holding the camera out the door but none after it was mounted. Would you happen to have a picture of the view after you mounted it?

How involved was the install? Is there a DIY you followed to code the headunit?
Install wasn't bad. If you've ever taken apart interiors of any vehicle to do anything this isn't a bad install. The longest part was figuring out how to remove the center console. Once I found directions on WIS then it was fine. Remove line and side piece of truck, remove rear seats, remove center console and remove radio. Then you have a straight shot to run the video cable from the back to the front of the car. Placement can be either on the left or right. I was half tempted to move the camera over more to the left on the inside of the license plate light but I didn't want to chance the "it doesn't fit, now I have a hole/off by a few mm" type of deal, so I played it safe and went to the right of the license plate light. I would say in all reality looking back install is probably a 2-3 out of 10. I was more nervous as I never really took apart a Merc so at the time I thought it was a 5-6, but honestly it's not bad at all... they are put together just like any other car, nothing special.

As far as coding I had purchased a video in motion (VIM) box that unlocked the camera feature. Kind of a two for one thing but this was prior to me getting STAR/DAS. You can enable the feature in command using STAR/DAS. Just go through different sub menus and you'll see it.

I don't think I have output shots of the camera after it was mounted but I will try and get some. It's been a very hectic last month or two with my father being ill. On top of that I am working on my STi and now my truck. So it might be a little bit until I get a shot. I could see what it looks like in the garage but it might not look good since it's parked/backed in. Shots would probably be very similar to me holding the camera out the window.

Still not sure why MB didn't have cameras on these cars as standard equipment... when one spends $60k for a car I'd expect it to have most of the bells and whistles.

-Nigel
The following users liked this post:
bizzy247 (01-23-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,393 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Originally Posted by NewShockerGuy

Still not sure why MB didn't have cameras on these cars as standard equipment... when one spends $60k for a car I'd expect it to have most of the bells and whistles.

-Nigel
I think they were available only in $3000 package with other features.
That is how MBUSA makes money.
You want $100 useful option- you have to spend 2 grands on gadgets.