E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2005 E500 4Matic - Rattle on Front Driver's Side

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E 500 4Matic
2005 E500 4Matic - Rattle on Front Driver's Side

I'm hoping someone could help give some advice. My E500 has been in the shop for the last few days for a rattle that's been going on for a few months on the drivers side front end. It occurs when I hit uneven roads and bumps. The mechanic has not been able to replicate it once in the shop, just on the road. We have looked at the tie rod end and sway bar link with no resolution. Now he's thinking the strut. I'm $400 into this getting nervous about no fix so far. I just had a coil conversion (air bags removed) in September, done by my normal Certified Master Technician for Mercedes. He's currently recovering from surgery and will not be able to see my car for a while. Since the coil conversion was just done it's not suspect that the strut could be causing this. I spoke with my Master Tech and he is leaning towards that as well. Bushings and whatnot are new too. I'm just looking for some other possible suggestions or should I just pull out and eat the $400 and wait for my normal tech to recover. Note: The technician working on it now is a great person and has been working with me very closely on this, they specialize in Foreign cars. Just not confident on where this rattle is coming from.

I appreciate your time for looking at this with me and I have pouring over these forums for a while now and have learned so many things from all the experience and knowledge of the community. I will do my best to answer questions as best as I can, since I am too savvy on the subject and I just bought this car in October (post airbag conversion).