E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Front Passenger Seat Adjustment Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Mercedes Benz E350 4matic wagon and 2012 BMW 335i Coupe
Question Front Passenger Seat Adjustment Problem

So my E350 wagon has bit of a problem with the front passenger seat. It seems when you try to adjust the seat with the fore and aft adjustment backwards it doesn't work. Instead it moves the seat in a clockwise motion and abruptly stoping about an inch backwards from the current position. my friend who I bought the car from says that they took it to the mechanic and it was very expensive to fix making it seem not worth the trouble. So I was wondering if anyone has or had the same problem and knows what to do? Especially if its a easy fix!
Old 03-16-2018, 08:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,048 Likes on 970 Posts
1999 E300TD
There is no free or easy fix---go back and talk to your so called friend who sold you the bomb!!------------------then find someone with DAS Xentry who will find the fault in five minutes!!
Old 03-17-2018, 09:13 PM

Received 176 Likes on 107 Posts
W223 S500 LWB 4-Matic, W222 S450 LWB 4-Matic, W211 E500 4-Matic Wagon
There are some electronic control modules in between that switch assembly and the motors on the seat. Not like the old days where the switches control wires went right to the motors. There is also data that is communicated between these devices. It could be that the switch has failed and/or a control module failed. If it seems that the seat will at least move fore or aft, you could have confirmed that the motor(s) are still okay.

My $130 iCarsoft MB II diagnostic code reader gives similar detailed trouble code information with the ability to clear trouble codes similar to STAR/DAS/Xentry, but can not alter any settings as STAR/DAS/Xentry. If you plan on servicing this car this diagnostic unit can pay for itself the first time used.

I always wondered why I saw wear on the cloth in the lower area of the driver side B pillar, yet our driver's seat never went back that far. I recently looked into the issue and found several coins jammed in the seat track that caused the seat to stop short of full rearward travel. Had to pry them out of the track.