E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Quick clarification on brake warning.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 09:11 PM

Received 94 Likes on 59 Posts
2013 E550 Sedan, 2005 E500 4matic Wagon
Quick clarification on brake warning.

I have been doing a lot of reading as of late. What I do not see related to brake warnings is the following messages in succession.
1. car wakes - (in red) in clock "brake" and in cluster " reduced braking power start engine" with no ability to toggle through the menus.
2. Car start- (in red) brake in clock and in cluster "reduced braking power visit workshop" no ability to toggle and message stays.

on start up I will see, albeit briefly my "low washer fluid " warning in the standard color before it changes to the warning.

I have had multiple electrical gremlins pop up on occasion which I believe was due to low battery because of hard start in severe cold. Almost like the battery had a dying cell. Since then I have replaced the main and aux battery (2 days ago). I have extensive experience with high end cars and low battery conditions.
The main battery was 2010 and the aux 2005! The aux tested at 10.5v. Now I have a steady 12.4 on both batteries and 14.2 charge thrown when running.
I have a star C4 coming in a few days to try and pull codes from the SBC. I had two soft codes from an Indy which was steering angle (corrected) and another which had something to do with the air suspension with a note to ignore.

while I am gearing up for an SBC replacement (I have to do brakes and rotors as well) I was just curious if this is the warning before the "stop" warning I have been studying. I cannot seem to find any threads with this particular succession of warnings....or I'm just screen blind at this point.

there is no warning with the actual brake symbol as I have seen that requires the pedal switch to be replaced.

I'm semi-excited to learn star. I'm fairly fluent in the F-car System Diagnosi 2 and 3 which I am sure is much different than it' German counterpart.

thanks for any input. Off to bathe the wagon!
Dan
Old 04-17-2018, 09:51 AM

Received 94 Likes on 59 Posts
2013 E550 Sedan, 2005 E500 4matic Wagon
Quick story while I engage myself in Star. (by the way the accumulator ball is faulty and the pump has timed out. Time for total replacement)

I am a Buick guy. I have had 6 Grand Nationals since 1990. I am beating my head against a wall figuring out this silly brake system and then it hits me....HydroBoost. In all 1986/87 Buick turbo regals they had an electric over hydraulic brake system by Bosch. It consisted of a master cylinder (feeding all four corners) an electric pump and manifold assembly, Black bosch accumulator ball. The common issue with these systems were pump noise, mysterious fluid leakage with no fluid residue....and ending up in your neighbors front yard unexpectedly. When the Hydroboost failed you got a red "brake" light on the console, then it was good luck from there on. They were 100% manual brakes. The fix for these systems were o-ring kits and replacement of the accumulator. The motor itself was never an issue. I need to go take a gander because I believe the pump motor assembly and the accumulator ball are for the most p[art - the exact same. We wised up and replaced the brake systems with regular vacuum set ups and never looked back.
The leak issue was really strange and took a while to figure out. The master cylinder would leak between the interior mating surface and the firewall. It was filling up the cavity between the sheet metal from the upper firewall to clear underneath the drivers floor pan. You would have never known unless you had rust, or had to drill a hole through the floor - fluid would come pouring out.

I was going to just buy an accumulator, but the the fact is the SBC is going to fail. No stupid resets. I have 3 kids.

I weighed out just dumping this car. I truly do love this thing. My kids like it. Its the perfect mix of a respectable "dad car" and allows me to channel my inner idiot when I put my foot down.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

Received 1,014 Likes on 787 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Check PM.
The following users liked this post:
Dane500 (04-17-2018)