E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

9 month report card on 2003 E320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 03:28 AM
BWL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
9 month report card on 2003 E320

As much as I would like to give you a "glowing" report on my first year owenership experience with a 2003 E320, numerous quality problems prevent me from doing so. My vehicle has a June 2003 build date and came with the sports package.

Details on quality/reliability problems are as follows:

- Both rear shock absorbers had to be replaced (thunking noise every time I ran over a bump turned out to be two very badly leaking shocks)

- Fuel pump and fuel sensor unit had to be replaced (intermittant problem of hesitation upon acceleration and rough idling when coming to an abrupt stop could not be fixed with software upgrade that others have mentioned)

- Power steering fluid leak at two separate fittings (one morning I found a large puddle of power steering fluid underneath the car along with a horrible noise when I tried turning the steering wheel)

- Passenger side leather seat cover had to be replaced because of a defect in the leather)

- Not sure if I have a problem with the audio gateway that others have mentioned or not. I do get a resonant sound coming from the speakers occasionally when listening to AM and FM radio.

This is my first MB purchase and I am extremely disappointed in the number of problems I have had with this car. I did expect a higher level of reliability from a company that expects a premium to be paid for their vehicles. On the positive side I do like both the exterior and interior styling of the car and I also like the ride and handling.

I thought by purchasing towards the end of 2003 model year MB would have ironed out most of the reliability issues- sad to say this is not true.

You would think that with the laundry list of problems that I have had that I would get some type of apology from MBUSA - the reality is that I have gotten one simple postcard.

The bottom line is that if I had to do it over again I probably would not buy another MB vehicle.
Old 05-21-2004, 05:03 AM

Well, all I can really say is that you bought a first-generation car. Sure MB's quality isn't as great as it has been previously but some people don't have any problems with the new E-Class, especially the people with the 2004 cars.
Old 05-21-2004, 10:12 AM

'03 Mercedes E320
Report card 18 months

Even some/many '03's are fine....November '02 delivery, very early model:

1. Gateway control module replaced week 1, overnight at the dealer--car functioned fine but with a warning message for Tele-Aid/SRS. Loaner provided. I may have been among the first to have this failure.
2. Defective battery at about 14 months--replaced while I waited (car cranked slowly and turned off consumables but never failed me)

That's it. I've been very happy. Build quality is outstanding.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:05 AM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
BWL, what's your mileage? After 8.5 months, but only 7,000 miles, with an '03 E500 the only problems we have had are the standard audio problem, fixed by the dealer with software, and noisy wipers, fixed by the dealer with new blades. That's pretty minor stuff, especially considering that we have a very early build - 9/02. But then, we previously had a first-year E39 BMW ('97- we're gluttons for punishment, right?) and the problems didn't start appearing until a year or two after we got it.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Re: 9 month report card on 2003 E320

Sad to hear that happen to $55K car. My car is Feb 04 build.

I bought it on April 17/04, got to drive it for 4 days. Car spent the next 18 days at the dealer, got it back last week !!!. To be fair, it probably take the dealer 2 hours to fix the problem (Gateway/SRS module), part have to be ordered from Germany, and it was back ordered, lot of car w/ similar problems, I guess. I got to drive the loaner ML350 during those time, it was truely a piece of crap. !! The build quality of the E is superior compared to even the S, all BMW models, almost on par w/ Audi & Lexus. Ride & handling is very good too (especially w/ 17" wheels). Look is gorgeous !

My Lexus GS spent less than 8 hours at the dealer, for the 6 years that I own it.

Mercedes offer to pay my payment this month ($970). Still waiting for their check. At least, it's more than enough to cover the wheel upgrade (E500 sport wheels, awesome look & ride). !.

I have less than 600 miles on the car, will see how it fares compared to my W210 (built like a Lexus, run like a Bimmer).

Originally posted by BWL
As much as I would like to give you a "glowing" report on my first year owenership experience with a 2003 E320, numerous quality problems prevent me from doing so. My vehicle has a June 2003 build date and came with the sports package.

Last edited by zam2000; 05-21-2004 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:22 PM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
I understand the rationale behind the "first year" excuse.

I just think in this day and age (and for 50K plus) there really is no excuse for not getting it right the first time.

I've had several other "first year" cars that have not had the same kind of teething problems that some W211 owners have experienced - myself included.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:59 PM

2014 E350 4Matic/2011 E350 4matic / 2003 E500 /2000 CLK 430
June 5 build date only real problems were

Transmission slipped into neutral a few times and found low fluid level..fixed.

Fog lamp projectors were cracked, replaced under warranty

All in all the car has been great, however i did have a nightmare with my clk430
Old 05-21-2004, 02:41 PM

E320 CDI Elegance auto
Originally posted by Regime|Life
Well, all I can really say is that you bought a first-generation car. Sure MB's quality isn't as great as it has been previously but some people don't have any problems with the new E-Class, especially the people with the 2004 cars.
Really, my car is 5 weeks old. 2 new rear shocks replaced after one week and a faulty phone control module replaced.
Old 05-21-2004, 02:46 PM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
Originally posted by Apollo
Really, my car is 5 weeks old. 2 new rear shocks replaced after one week and a faulty phone control module replaced.
I suppose the first year rule doesn't apply here. Yours must be a "monday morning" production car.
Old 05-21-2004, 05:08 PM
BWL

The mileage on my vehicle is 8400 miles after about 9 months of driving. The car has mainly been used to go back and forth to work (so mainly city driving). I do not consider myself to be the type of driver that is hard on a vehicle - and I certainly always do my best to avoid pot holes and slow down for speed bumps.

For those of you that have not had a fuel pump/fuel sensor unit replaced on this vehicle be aware of the fact that the mechanics have to access the back seat. I unfortunately got a mechanic who did not have a high regard for cleanliness - the result being soiled carpeting all around both door thresholds. The sevice department has since apologized and scheduled an appointment to have the car detailed - but I am still ticked off that they were not more careful in the first place.

One last comment I have is that I have bought first year vehicles from Toyota and Dodge and have not had anything close to the number of problems that I have had with MB.
Old 05-21-2004, 05:51 PM
Almost a Member!

S2000, E500 on way
I am curious to see what kind of issues if any I have, but if you try to compare either Honda (acura), or Toyota (Lexus) vehicles, you are joking yourself. On reliability, they will not be touched for a while. I own one of each, and let's just say on my S2000, I rev it all the way to the 9000 RPM redline at LEAST 15 times a day, I have tracked the car a few times, and dragged it a few times, and the car has almost 50,000 miles, and the only thing that has needed to be fixed was a rear axle, (my own fault) from doing doughnuts. The clutch is only now starting to show signs of age.

Plus BTW in order to get a proper launch on a car that has low torque you must dump the clutch from high RPMS. I do it around 7500 on that to get a decent launch.

But I do not think there will ever be a car to match the cars from Japan on reliability.