GPS Bluetooth with PDA arrangement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
GPS Bluetooth with PDA arrangement

Some time ago I posted some images to show my HP GPS unit working with an HP 2210 IPAQ using an Akron mount connected to the windshield. It was useful but looked bad and was difficult to deal with.

Well I changed the setup with a product called ProClip. ProClip is a mount custom made to fit individual cars so PDA (and phones) can be mounted on the dash or center console.

I selected the Center Console mount. It installed in about 30 seconds and slip down between the console trim and then clips under the trim at the floor level. Solid as a rock.

I then purchased a Swivel to mount on the ProClip from Akron. The Akron Multimedia Mount clips on the Swivel and can be adjusted sideways and up and down. This Multimedia mount has a speaker amplifier for the PDA sound and produced excellent clear sound of the navigation directions.

I think this setup is much neater and installs or uninstalls in minutes. I have posted pictures at the web site below.

http://members.***.net/chiefphotomate/

I am using Pocket Map software with the HP GPS Bluetooth receiver. It picked up 6 satellites in about 30 seconds with the car sitting in the garage! Accuracy indicated is 19'.

If anyone is interested in additional information, post or email me.
Old 05-22-2004, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice setup! Another possibilty is to use the Proclip Ipaq holder (see image below). Depending of what kind of software you use, the loudspeaker in the 2215 should be loud enough to hear without amplifier. I tried it with TomTom. I also think it would look better if you used sig outlet from the backseat, and hide the cable between the center console and the passenger seat. The final touch would be if you painted the mount in grey to match the car interiour....

Last edited by Oslo; 05-22-2004 at 12:00 PM.
Old 05-22-2004, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Oslo
Nice setup! Another possibilty is to use the Proclip Ipaq holder (see image below). Depending of what kind of software you use, the loudspeaker in the 2215 should be loud enough to hear without amplifier. I tried it with TomTom. I also think it would look better if you used sig outlet from the backseat, and hide the cable between the center console and the passenger seat. The final touch would be if you painted the mount in grey to match the car interiour....

Thanks. Had never thought about the wire to the rear connection. Just checked and that will work fine.

I was tempted to buy that mount you have pictured (Brodit?) but without the amplification I do have trouble hearing the audio from the Pocket Map software. Also, I have a slight hearing loss. That mount is a nice looking mount and a much better design than the
Akron. I don't know why Akron has those long holding ears on their units. I commented to them they should shorten them.

Think I may pass on the paint suggestion...
Old 05-22-2004, 12:29 PM

You know Brodit also have the same mount with a realy good, small loudspeaker. I also think it looks neater then the Akron.

Old 05-22-2004, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You know Brodit also have the same mount with a realy good, small loudspeaker. I also think it looks neater then the Akron.

I'll double check the US site and see if they have that model...I may take a closer look.
Old 05-22-2004, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Oslo...do you have the model number for that sound wired Brodit mount...I cannot seem to locate it on the Brodit sites.
Old 05-22-2004, 02:06 PM

Either 991574 or 992574

http://www.brodit.com/

Last edited by Oslo; 05-22-2004 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-24-2004, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NJ,

how would the GPS receiver perform if you had placed it in say, the glove box or in the armrest?

I just got my Ipaq4150.. going to get a GPS receiver soon. I'm trying to avoid having the receiver so "exposed"
Old 05-24-2004, 04:14 PM

Originally posted by pokerFACE
NJ,

how would the GPS receiver perform if you had placed it in say, the glove box or in the armrest?

I just got my Ipaq4150.. going to get a GPS receiver soon. I'm trying to avoid having the receiver so "exposed"
The GPS receiver must have a good view of the sky. If you place it in the glove box, you must use an external antenna.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Lightbulb My GPS/PDA setup

PokerFACE, I see that you're in Canada, I bought one of those Bluetooth antennas and find it much easier to mount and hide. (I have hidden it next to the window between the C & D pillars in my wagon behind a baby on board sign).

I have the Bluetooth antenna connected to my Tungsten via Bluetooth, and have mounted the Tungsten on my dash using ProClip.

http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/rayming/tn206.htm

I also highly recommend ProClip, I'm not related but only a happy customer:

Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 15:24:46 -0400
Cc: <wayneco@videotron.ca>
Subject: RE: Customer Inquiry: BC Retailer for Proclips product

Hello, as per conversation with you today we have a distributor for
products which you can order online via his web site at www.ppsonline.net or
at the email address above Wayne will be happy to help you out.

Best Regards,
Mark Vella
ProClip Canada

Good luck!

Last edited by W210; 05-24-2004 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NJ,

Ihave not tried it out of sight BUT, the reading you see is when the car is in the garage! It could not see the sky directly (although the door was open) and I obtained 6 satellites in about 30 seconds.

I will try a little later and post the results
Old 05-24-2004, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

With the garage door closed and the GPS on the dash it can see some of the satellites but will not acquire. If I open the door, I can acquire 4-6 satellites with good strength. If I move the GPS to the ash tray shelf or put it in the center are rest, I lose signal. So if you leave it in the car all the time a antenna would be needed to hide the GPS.

I only use the GPS for some trips so I just use it on the dash and when I park, I put it out of site or take it in the house with me.
Old 05-25-2004, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Either 991574 or 992574

http://www.brodit.com/
Just heard from ProClip USA that they will have this model in stock probably next week and will post info on their web site.