Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350
recharged AC Freon now radiator fan running crazy

Hello board,
2008 e350 w211 wagon
I have had ongoing issues with our AC system and our guy has been adding Freon twice last year enough to get us through the season. Of course with the start of the new season, we needed to add Freon and wanted to try Stopleak as well except this time the compressor wouldn’t engage requiring a fault reset which I did when I picked up a Carsoft i980.

after a code reset to allow the compressor to run and accept a recharge I refilled it along with stop leak.

Everything was going well with the Freon. Low side psi is now within range at 35 psi and 70ish F days here. AC is cold and the blower runs at maximum.

BUT when the AC is turned on the radiator fan runs at extremely high speed as if it wants to fly the car. The car shakes with it. The car runs fine and doesn’t behave this way when the AC is off. The rpm is low when this happens and the car is not at all high. Again, this happens at idle.

I brought it to a local mechanic and he thinks we have to do a complete Freon depletion and vacuum seal the entire system as it may be the drier, etc. basically remove any moisture from the system.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by Microchipny; 06-14-2018 at 08:20 AM.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
You again, its the fan control module unit that is faulty or your AC control unit is faulty--start testing!!
Old 06-15-2018, 07:01 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
I cannot answer for the fan operating on high speed, but I know my fan will run in the high speed mode when I first start the car (if it is extremely hot outside), and settle down once I get moving. It can even idle for 30 minutes without the fan going into high speed mode.
On adding freon, if you have to add two cans a year, stop leak is not going to do anything, you have a BIG leak. I would investigate on the leak first and the fan may operate back to normal after that.
Mike T.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 660 Likes on 477 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
After adding too much refrigerant, isn't the compressor oil going to become an issue?
Evacuate the system
fix the leak
get it recharged properly by weight, not by pressure and with the proper volume of oil.
Stay cool.
If the fan still has issues, go from there.
BTW, freon hasn't been in common use since like the early 90's or earlier...