E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

E500 2004 Battery drain

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 02:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500
E500 2004 Battery drain

Is anybody near Katy/Houston area with working knowledge of e500 (2004) who can help. I am having battery drain issue, trunk control won't work, a/c cools and blows hot intermittently.
Will appreciate any help I can get. Going to the dealership for the age of the car is out of the question. And most mechanics don't have a clue and wont let you know upfront. There are a few things I can do myself if I have the right guidance. Thanks.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:05 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2005 e500 w211 wagon
hey toonday, sounds like you have two/three separate issues going on with the car.
1. I would do a parasitic draw test on the battery and see how many amps the car is pulling when it is off.
2.The trunk control issue, is that from the a. key fob b. trunk release button on the driver door or c. trunk latch release on trunk itself.
3. for the a/c system, has this just started all the sudden, or has this been going on for a while? you might need a simple recharge of Freon, or there might be a leak in the system.

hth
Old 08-07-2018, 09:34 PM
ot1

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by 05w211wagon
hey toonday, sounds like you have two/three separate issues going on with the car.
1. I would do a parasitic draw test on the battery and see how many amps the car is pulling when it is off.
2.The trunk control issue, is that from the a. key fob b. trunk release button on the driver door or c. trunk latch release on trunk itself.
3. for the a/c system, has this just started all the sudden, or has this been going on for a while? you might need a simple recharge of Freon, or there might be a leak in the system.

hth
You will have to be more detailed on your A/C problem. You should be able to get a loaner a gauge set for 134A from Autozone, or O Reilly you will get your deposit back in full when you return it. The high side (RED hose) psi needs to be better than 200 PSI when ambient is about 85F. Between 200-225PSI should work. Make sure you purge the fill hose of air if you add any refrigerant. Always fill with a gas and NOT liquid. Houston is hot right now, so its probably blowing ambient when it does. Let us know what your pressure is. Do you have a digital display on your A/C controls?

You can get a Southwire DVM from Lowes for about $80, better if you can get your hands on a Fluke with a 10 amp DC feature to measure drain when the engine is off.

Last edited by ot1; 08-07-2018 at 09:38 PM.