E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

I think my fuel pump is bad...please help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 e320 wagon
I think my fuel pump is bad...please help

when I turn the ignition on the fuel pump sounds like it is trying to work but it sounds like it is cutting on and off real quick when it kicks in to prime the system. Is there a valve anywhere on the fuel system I can check to see if there is fuel pressure? And what else could I check to see if this is the problem? Also if anybody could direct me to a video or anything to show how to replace the fuel pump I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

*this is on a 2004 e320 wagon (3.2L V6)

also want to add for the 2 days leading up to it completely not starting it would take it longer to start when starting the engine. It would turn over atleast twice as long before actually starting.

Last edited by C_payne211; 09-04-2018 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 772 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
At key "on", the pump will only prime the system for about one second then shut off. When the engine is rotating, the ME module will reactivate the fuel pump. This is a safety feature.

Schrader valve on the fuel line for pressure check. Usually at the front of the engine. Press to release fuel (no sparks please!) or, better, attach a fuel pressure gauge.

Pelican parts has a tutorial with photos on how to verify fuel pump. Look on this page under the "Fuel Injection" section.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...Index-W211.htm
Old 09-05-2018, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 e320 wagon
Yes when it comes on to prime at ignition on you can hear it going in and out really quick like it is sputtering on and off. Thank you for the advice I really appreciate it