E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Noise that keeps going with batteries unhooked?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 09:12 AM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
2011 E350, 1998 ML320
Noise that keeps going with batteries unhooked?

I heard an odd noise this morning, when I investigated my 2003 E320 was completely unresponsive, and making a loud noise that sounds kind of like a hundred crickets on coke. I unhooked BOTH batteries, and to my surprise the sound continues unabated. Any thoughts? I have (hopefully) attached a sample of the noise.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
whatnoise.MOV (612.5 KB, 177 views)
Old 10-11-2018, 12:31 PM
ot1

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by bernard farquar
I heard an odd noise this morning, when I investigated my 2003 E320 was completely unresponsive, and making a loud noise that sounds kind of like a hundred crickets on coke. I unhooked BOTH batteries, and to my surprise the sound continues unabated. Any thoughts? I have (hopefully) attached a sample of the noise.
alarm battery, there are actually 3 batteries on the car
The following users liked this post:
bernard farquar (10-14-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 09:45 PM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
2011 E350, 1998 ML320
So when I came back from work, I removed the two batteries and brought them into my shop to recharge, and test. Main (trunk) battery was down to 8.5 volts, front aux battery was holding up at 12.5. This has to happen of course when I am working 12 hour days, and about to fly out for a week away, so a slow motion diagnosis and repair it seems. I did notice the day before this occurred, my car kept grabbing my incoming phone calls when I was in the house, even though I hadn't driven it in over 24 hours. Apparently is was somehow kept "awake" and drained the battery. I also noticed that for the past week, once or twice it threw the "electrical consumers turned off" notice in the dash. It usually does this if it doesn't start right up for some reason, but since everything was working, and the car started right up, I ignored it. I fly out to Alaska for a week, when I return I will see if the now fully charged battery drops voltage at all sitting on the workbench.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:25 PM
ot1

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by bernard farquar
So when I came back from work, I removed the two batteries and brought them into my shop to recharge, and test. Main (trunk) battery was down to 8.5 volts, front aux battery was holding up at 12.5. This has to happen of course when I am working 12 hour days, and about to fly out for a week away, so a slow motion diagnosis and repair it seems. I did notice the day before this occurred, my car kept grabbing my incoming phone calls when I was in the house, even though I hadn't driven it in over 24 hours. Apparently is was somehow kept "awake" and drained the battery. I also noticed that for the past week, once or twice it threw the "electrical consumers turned off" notice in the dash. It usually does this if it doesn't start right up for some reason, but since everything was working, and the car started right up, I ignored it. I fly out to Alaska for a week, when I return I will see if the now fully charged battery drops voltage at all sitting on the workbench.
if you end up needing a main battery i bought a bosch series 6. Its an AGM. paid $160 on sale from pep boys. Its a great battery and is bosch’s top battery.has a very good warranty too.