Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > E-Class (W211)
m272 engine noise can anyone tell me what it is? >

m272 engine noise can anyone tell me what it is?

Notices
E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

m272 engine noise can anyone tell me what it is?

Old 04-19-2019, 12:56 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
92 W124 500E, 93 W201 190E, 11 C207 E350, 05 W211 E55
I would say that part of the cam follower/lifter problem is lack of lubrication along with the softer metal of the cam lobes versus the follower buckets. We have seen M156 motors with north of 180K miles that tick like crazy but still run fine and when the revs pick up you cant hear it anyway.
Long term effects would be that eventually the lobes become so worn that valve lift is reduced to the point of it affecting the combustion process, causing reduced performance/driveability and increasing hydrocarbons because of an inefficient mixture burn affecting the O2 sensors and tripping the MIL lamp. The other issue is the cam adjuster failure which will affect timing and and also throw a code because timing can be altered.