W211 2005 no gear selection strange issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 04:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320 Avantgarde 3.2ltr W211
W211 2005 no gear selection strange issue

Good morning everyone,

My car has yet developed another issue recently, I have had full AUto transmission service (oil Filter kit service including cleaning the transmission conductor plate and valve body clean. The car changed gears smoothly on a local run for about two days and then I decided to test run on a motorway, I went to Bristol and while I tried to run over 60mph the car felt really draggy and heavy, nevertheless I carried on and when I reached Cabot Circus car park, parked the car. I then tried to adjust the car by putting on reverse as it wasn’t parked properly in bay, the car wouldn’t move even though it was in reverse gear, so I put it into drive, it goes into drive but doesn’t move. I stopped the car for about 3hrs (obviously at this point had to call the recovery man so waiting for him to come). The car after 4hrs of non run, kind tow truck gentleman offered to push the car into my drive but as soon as it came off the truck, I started the car put into reverse it moved and when I put it into the drive it drove perfectly into my drive bay without issues.

my query/puzzled query is, is it the conductor plate that need replacing with same solenoids in correct places or does it require a complete conductor plate with valve body? Do I need anything else doing to it to fix it please? (I’ve already spent £500 diagnosing the issue and unfortunately this is my everyday commuting car so cannot live without it).

your kind help in right direction will be highly appreciated

kindest regards

J.
Old 10-26-2018, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 660 Likes on 477 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
My bet? A connector wasn't snapped tightly (locked) together and you have an intermittent circuit that will only work itself looser. Give the shop that did the work first crack at fixing it - hopefully they'll stand properly behind their work and do it quickly and freely.
Old 10-27-2018, 03:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320 Avantgarde 3.2ltr W211
Thank you so much rapidoxidation for your quick reply. I was thinking to take back the car and ask the gentleman to recheck it but obviously if and when he removes it, we’ll need atf again. I will ask him to do as you suggested and (fingers crossed) it should fix the issue.
kindest regards
Jay