E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

SOS / TeleAid / MBrace activation possible?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2018 | 09:41 PM

2005 E320, 2008 E320 Bluetec
SOS / TeleAid / MBrace activation possible?

Hello all,

Just bought my first Mercedes, a 2005 E320. Having owned an E39 5 Series and missing that car very much after "upgrading" to a newer Volvo S60 and then an Audi Q5, I have to say that this feels like a homecoming of sorts. This car reminds me a lot of my old E39 except improved in every way. I got an incredible deal on it due to it needing an SBC pump and an airmatic strut, got the SBC pump replaced for free at the dealership under the warranty extension and I've got an Arnott air strut on order to fix the other major issue. Still, there are a few other minor isuses that I'll be sorting out for a while and this forum has been very helpful in helping me find the solution to most of them. However there is one question I haven't found the answer for yet.

Is it possible in 2018 to activate the TeleAid system in this car? From what I've read here I believe that I have a digital TeleAid system, but does Mercedes still offer services that would be compatible with this system? I know they've gone from TeleAid to MBrace to now calling it Mercedes Me, but is it still compatible? I like to have every button in a vehicle work so I'm not as worried about is it worth it, as I'm pretty sure it's not really thanks to modern cell phone technology, but it's more just to satisfy a pet peeve of mine.

My other concern is that if I do go through the steps to get it activated, assuming I can, will it continue to work if I replace my ancient COMAND headunit with one of those new Android OEM replacement units? I am planning on doing that, since I got spoiled on bluetooth and Apple CarPlay in my last vehicle. I suppose if I had to trade off between having some useless buttons work or having a modern headunit, I would pick the modern headunit, but is it possible to have both?
Old 11-28-2018 | 03:01 PM

fleet
per internet search:

You can switch from Tele Aid to Mercedes Benz mbrace. To get more info start by calling Mercedes Benz at 1-866-990-9007. You may need to visit your dealer to upgrade your TeleAid.

the android headunit would not impede the function, they are seperate.

if you ever upgrade, please, please, sell or donate your old unit to me. Mine is on the fritz and I need parts to salvage. you can always PM me
The following users liked this post:
charlesb2003 (11-28-2018)
Old 11-28-2018 | 06:45 PM
ot1

2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by charlesb2003
Hello all,

Just bought my first Mercedes, a 2005 E320. Having owned an E39 5 Series and missing that car very much after "upgrading" to a newer Volvo S60 and then an Audi Q5, I have to say that this feels like a homecoming of sorts. This car reminds me a lot of my old E39 except improved in every way. I got an incredible deal on it due to it needing an SBC pump and an airmatic strut, got the SBC pump replaced for free at the dealership under the warranty extension and I've got an Arnott air strut on order to fix the other major issue. Still, there are a few other minor isuses that I'll be sorting out for a while and this forum has been very helpful in helping me find the solution to most of them. However there is one question I haven't found the answer for yet.

Is it possible in 2018 to activate the TeleAid system in this car? From what I've read here I believe that I have a digital TeleAid system, but does Mercedes still offer services that would be compatible with this system? I know they've gone from TeleAid to MBrace to now calling it Mercedes Me, but is it still compatible? I like to have every button in a vehicle work so I'm not as worried about is it worth it, as I'm pretty sure it's not really thanks to modern cell phone technology, but it's more just to satisfy a pet peeve of mine.

My other concern is that if I do go through the steps to get it activated, assuming I can, will it continue to work if I replace my ancient COMAND headunit with one of those new Android OEM replacement units? I am planning on doing that, since I got spoiled on bluetooth and Apple CarPlay in my last vehicle. I suppose if I had to trade off between having some useless buttons work or having a modern headunit, I would pick the modern headunit, but is it possible to have both?
you have the option with your 2005 vehicle of going back to Teleaid or go with Mbrace, whomever has a Star diagnosic programs the lastest Verizon dialup number for whichever company you choose. Mbrace is more expensive by $60, they claim you can track your vehicle via a phone app. But it has sever limitations, Teleaid requires the police to be involved in tracking you car.
The following users liked this post:
charlesb2003 (11-28-2018)
Old 11-29-2018 | 09:09 AM

2005 E320, 2008 E320 Bluetec
Thank you both for the helpful replies! That's what I needed to know.
Old 11-29-2018 | 09:20 AM

06 MB E350 4Matic Sedan, 08 MB S550 4Matic Sedan
TeleAid system

Hello all,

Is it possible in 2018 to activate the TeleAid system in this car? From what I've read here I believe that I have a digital TeleAid system, but does Mercedes still offer services that would be compatible with this system? I know they've gone from TeleAid to MBrace to now calling it Mercedes Me, but is it still compatible? I like to have every button in a vehicle work so I'm not as worried about is it worth it, as I'm pretty sure it's not really thanks to modern cell phone technology, but it's more just to satisfy a pet peeve of mine.?
I had my TeleAid deactivated while the car was serviced at the local MB stealership. I asked for that. It was done within a few seconds using their "Star" tool.
So, I am very confident that they can activate it for you. I would suggest you find someone (e.g. indy), who has access to a similar tool AND he does NOT charge you an arm and a leg.
I hope that helps. Good luck, charlesb2003.

Pitek
Old 11-30-2018 | 10:16 AM
ot1

2006 E320 CDI
Hello all,

the system does have benefits over a cell phone because in an accident your phone could get misplaced or you're rendered unconscious and the system knows to dial SOS for you, plus you have the other roadside buttons, and manual SOS. Also note Siri sometimes fails to answer (no internet connection, or the little ***** falls asleep into a coma) so you can’t always rely on her to call 911 when there is dire need. Mbrace is $300 per year after the promo period. I think the benefits outway the cost.