E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Radio started rebooting or restarting every 50 seconds.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 10:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 R350, 2009 E550, 2015 GL450, 1981 HONDA CB750F SuperSport
Radio started rebooting or restarting every 50 seconds.

2009 E550, No problems with radio before, no work done or panels removed or worked on in recent days. Main Battery is new 2018.
Car had be parked over the long weekend for about 5 days. Started it last night (38F , 5C) Radio came on started playing FM as usual. In the past during cold days the CFL backlight has a pinkish glow for a few minutes so that was expected, but after about a minute, I noticed that the entire screen went black, all lights out except the ON button, then it came back on again with the Mercedes logo and went through the warnings and alerts, screen then back to radio. I checked all other features, and it seems like all other modules work : Radio starts with the MB logo and starts playing music, or CD or displays Nav, or hooks to Phone, but then about a minute later, goes to a blank screen followed by all lights out, except the ON button, and then recovers with logo splash screen etc as described before. If it were a computer, i'd say something crashed the OS and it decided to reboot. The system recovers to previous activity and then about a minute later resets. One of the suggested checks in another post was to check and replace the Aux battery if it is too old. My car is now ~9 years old but read in another thread that the 2009 does not have an Aux battery, at least it is not under the cabin filter in the hood area like some W211 s .
A week ago I had to access the spare wheel, and nothing unusual happened during the tire replacement, that is the closest area to the audio modules I may have disturbed, bit no wires were moved so I don't expect a fiber optical cable connector to simply have come loose.
I am looking for first things to check. I have read the other thread about "Radio restarts". Mine does not hang at the splash screen MB logo before resetting it is able to go to CD, NAV, Tel, and does not have any noise, or any problems with any of the modules or any issues prior to this problem. I have not yet tested the Voice command or TeleAid.
The following users liked this post:
jcbrowniii (10-24-2019)
Old 10-24-2019, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 E550
I'm working thru the same issue. It started after a signal refresh when trying to setup SiriusXM sat radio. How'd did you resolve it??