Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2002, 01:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Range Rover, 02 S 600, 02 Yukon
Talking E320 color matrix

Old 04-27-2002, 08:10 PM

I notice that, according to the order guide, the E320 will come standard with leather seating inserts (MB's parlance (or euphemism?) for a vinyl/leather mix upholstery).

Most dealers are estimating that the 2003 E320 MSRP will rise about 4%. While the increase in new technology and equipment may justify this price increase, I do not see the point in offering a vinyl/leather upholstery mix in a $50,000+ automobile. Also FYI, Mercedes has made "premium" leather upholstery standard in the E320 model since 1990, and until now.

I hope that if MBUSA offers "leather seating inserts" as standard, the price will at least be lowered a bit to compensate. Because now everyone will need to add another $1500 to have leather upholstery, which was standard until now.

As a Mercedes-Benz fan, I'm kind of disappointed with Mercedes with the new E-Class pricing. With so much competition, including models such as the $35,000 BMW 525i and models from Audi and Lexus, Mercedes has to have competitive pricing to stay on the top. This kind of complacency has caused MB to lose overall sales to the BMW in the US market.
Old 04-27-2002, 09:50 PM

It's not just MB playing this game, and it's hardly a new strategy.
Keeping the base price low, and being able to claim that the new model is "minimally more expensive" despite all the tech enhancements (while the apples to apples price comparison of similarly equipped 210 and 211 models will be clearly different) is all about marketing and margin fluffing.

MB is not going to offset the price of a 211 with vinyl-lined seats. They're going to ask you (demand that you) pay up if you want high quality seats....or a CD player....or nicer rims or whatever.

MB is simply getting more aggressive with their profit margin startegies balanced against their desire to give the appearance of providing "value" vs. the competition.

Welcome to the new world of Daimler-CHRYSLER.
Old 04-28-2002, 04:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by amg55
It's not just MB playing this game, and it's hardly a new strategy.
Keeping the base price low, and being able to claim that the new model is "minimally more expensive" despite all the tech enhancements (while the apples to apples price comparison of similarly equipped 210 and 211 models will be clearly different) is all about marketing and margin fluffing.

MB is not going to offset the price of a 211 with vinyl-lined seats. They're going to ask you (demand that you) pay up if you want high quality seats....or a CD player....or nicer rims or whatever.

MB is simply getting more aggressive with their profit margin startegies balanced against their desire to give the appearance of providing "value" vs. the competition.

Welcome to the new world of Daimler-CHRYSLER.