E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Fog lights remain on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 05:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E320 estate avantgarde w211 2003
Fog lights remain on

On purchasing the wheels , well a few faults have surfaced .. prepurchase check by mechanic was poor .. the current matter is the fog light .
MB dealer decided it was a new wiring harness to be installed. yet still the passenger side fog light remains on...
MB dealer suggests SAM module needs replacing ..
My question is which SAM? Not going back to the dealer it was way too expensive ..first merc and first dealer visit.. ouch
Ive looked through the various forum categories, ​​​​but seemed to have not picked up the right answer..
at best I believe Ive ascertained the front sam doesnt nor does the back ..
(from member wiring fuse diagrams)
so does that mean its the basic electrical unit (forgotten the term I read that was used to describe it) ..yet doesnt that live with the front SAM unit .. i need to do more searching it seems ...
any pointers would be appreciated
cheers
Old 12-18-2018, 10:38 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto

See attachments.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
F SAM task.pdf (103.8 KB, 69 views)
File Type: pdf
Front SAM 03-05.pdf (320.0 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by konigstiger; 12-18-2018 at 10:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Tedbear (01-09-2019)
Old 12-18-2018, 08:59 PM

A big thanks Konigstiger.

Got into it and through some friends help tried replacing the front SAM module.... still the pesky fog light remains on ....
mmm do we need to reporgramme anything? .. ( Ive seen that question asked a few times by others- a regular newbie question no doubt..)
The MB dealers rationale was that whatever damaged the wiring it has somehow led to fault in the SAM (remembering they didnt say which one and arent forthcoming and I am now thinkking a speculative replace it and see approach ..hence $$$$ for poor owner) ... hence the requirement to replace ...
We also tried the rear SAM....still the pesky fog light remains on.
Need to also wonder if this is likely to be affecting anything else - only issue we have with car is a faulty internal light that doesnt come on when door is opened (internal centre roof light) - though I have yet to pull that fiddly thing apart to see if it just bulb...
We a dash warning light for the fog light - though I have disconnected the fog light to stop it being on at all times..
The search continues!

As an aisde ...I note the wiring damage to the front fog light appers likley to have been partnered by some work to the front end suspension and missing undercarriage stone/skid protector ( being replaced by me tomorrow)
so far SBC ($$ ouch), rear drivers side airmatic shock, brake sensor, stuttering sunroof -service ( though its stuttering again) new batteries, ATF /filter- oil was black @ 115000klms - likely to have never been changed, broken seat belt buckle, aircon not blowing thorugh drivers vents - service incldued regassing - believe a leak exists and dye used to enable follow up checks

Happy Festive season to all !
Old 12-18-2018, 09:02 PM

Fog Lights remain on

A big thanks Konigstiger.

Got into it and through some friends help tried replacing the front SAM module.... still the pesky fog light remains on ....
mmm do we need to reporgramme anything? .. ( Ive seen that question asked a few times by others- a regular newbie question no doubt..)
The MB dealers rationale was that whatever damaged the wiring it has somehow led to fault in the SAM (remembering they didnt say which one and arent forthcoming and I am now thinkking a speculative replace it and see approach ..hence $$$$ for poor owner) ... hence the requirement to replace ...
We also tried the rear SAM....still the pesky fog light remains on.
Need to also wonder if this is likely to be affecting anything else - only issue we have with car is a faulty internal light that doesnt come on when door is opened (internal centre roof light) - though I have yet to pull that fiddly thing apart to see if it just bulb...
We a dash warning light for the fog light - though I have disconnected the fog light to stop it being on at all times..
The search continues!

As an aside ...I note the wiring damage to the front fog light appers likley to have been partnered by some work to the front end suspension and missing undercarriage stone/skid protector ( being replaced by me tomorrow)
so far SBC ($$ ouch), rear drivers side airmatic shock, brake sensor, stuttering sunroof -service ( though its stuttering again) new batteries, ATF /filter- oil was black @ 115000klms - likely to have never been changed, broken seat belt buckle, aircon not blowing thorugh drivers vents - service incldued regassing - believe a leak exists and dye used to enable follow up checks

Happy Festive season to all !
Old 12-20-2018, 09:03 AM
ot1

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
SBC ouch? Where do you live that its not under warranty? Hopefully you didnt already get it done at an INDY.

DID YOU PULL the fog light fuse and its still on? Do you own a DVM?
The following users liked this post:
Tedbear (01-09-2019)
Old 12-25-2018, 05:33 PM

Australia

Thanks for the input..
1. we live in Oz and no warranty..
2.The dealer doesnt even offer proper warranty on the SBC replacement..12 months only
3. Australia never offerred the same long warranties that appeared to have been offerred in USA ...when the SBC issues arose with this model
4. yes we paid for the sbc replacement.. our mb newbie eerrir..first service unfortunately hapenedd out of our control..was booked in merely for analysis then going to go elsewhere for repairs.. night before tge rear air shocks collapsed..
5. We've got a goid price indy repair shop now as well as super cheap spares (2nds) that has now eased the pain as we tidy this estate up.

Fog lights..nup not fuse if i put globe back in it lights up.
tried replacing SAM ..still it lights up ...with holidays havent done any further work..