E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Sirius install with "stealth" antenna

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sirius install with "stealth" antenna

I just had Sirius satellite radio installed in my '04 E500 last week. Scorchie did the install, and the results are great. I opted to not do the MB recommended method of drilling into the rear trunk deck. I don't want to get into a debate of which method is better, this is just the path I decided to take myself. I'm sure the on the deck method has it's benefits as well.

I do get the occasional signal dropout, but I'm sure those dropouts would happen regardless of where the antenna was placed. Scorchie installed the antenna under the rear deck closer to center, which is a little different than t-bone's install. His antenna location is more to the left of the rear deck. Here's pictures of the installation:

Last edited by kyee; 06-16-2004 at 11:43 PM.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Just to point out... those first few pictures were to show him how his installed installed his subwoofer... by cutting and tapping wires that go to the audio gateway. I just wanted him to be aware that when he takes his stuff out, there will be some repair work to do.

So those taps have nothing to do with the antenna install, and the Sirius receiver is on the other side of his trunk.

-s-
Old 06-16-2004, 11:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
ZipCar NYC / Boston
wow never knew that the rear rollers were that complicated...
Old 06-16-2004, 11:43 PM

I went ahead and took those first 3 pictures out, so the page will load faster.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:47 AM

2004 E500
Sorry to be repetitious but I posted this question a little while ago on the Audio & Electronics forum (in case some of you don't check that one) . . .

A question -- I read on one of these threads that the sat signal is only blocked by ferrous metals but should pass through aluminum or non-metallic materials. According to a review I read in Road & Track yesterday, MB changed both front and rear lids to aluminum in either '03 or '04 in the E to reduce weight. If this is true, could the antenna be placed under the rear lid? That would reduce some of the potential line-of-sight problems of a rear package shelf placement.

BTW: very nice install, Scorchie and Kyee