E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

A leaking windshield and dead battery walk into a bar......

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320 wagaon
A leaking windshield and dead battery walk into a bar......

Hi Everyone,

2005 E 320 4 matic wagon, new owner (actually son's car) Purchased from a family friend, with full knowledge that their was DEAD battery issues. (hoping a simple parasitic amp draw) When prepping the car (charging battery essentially), we noticed the steering wheel was warm. The key was NOT in the ignition. Found F40 fuse and pulled it. Battery actually was charging, but I was NOT optimistic that I could be so lucky.

About half way home of an 7 hour drive, I smelled that electric burning smell and then the dashboard lights went off. (except a red BRAKE light came on and also the red battery message in the middle of the speedometer (visit workshop ) All mechanical functions seemed fine and since I was on 287 in White Plains NY, I assumed the outside lights were working. No one beeped at me (while driving to a hotel I stayed at for work, I did notice the headlights were on in a window reflection ) After a few minutes, the hazard lights came on and all other functions too. I decided to head on back home. No problems until the next day. Dead battery. Multi meter read .77 with car cables connected. Not 11 volts, or 12.5 or 12. 6....but point 77. Put the battery charger on and within five minutes, meter was reading 12.5. Gave a half hour before starting, which it did, and meter read 13.99. Repeat the next two days.
Did I mention it rained the entire 7 hour trip?
Well, getting ready to finally have time to do a parasitic amp draw test, I put my hand on the DRIVERS side floor mat. Soaking wet. Took it out, and the carpet below was soaked as well. Powered the seat back and pulled up the foam/carpet to find Jacque Costeau and Steve Zisso (bill Murray) exploring under the sea
. (video one)
LOTS of water in there, with a nice bundle of electric cables smack dab in the midst of it. After squeezing and drying as much as possible, the car has been starting every single morning since.
After searching for answers to possible water sources on this website: (sunroof, leaves blocking, etc ) I decided to do the obvious. Lo and behold , the bottom of the windshield rubber had dry rot (video two)
, with the lower corner drivers side VERY wet still. (btw, the back tailgate isn't a thing of beauty either, small leak possible there too )

Questions on where to get a replacement part for the lower windshield, as it seems impossible to find parts ANYWHERE. I thought I read a thread on this website that mentioned the part, except for a E class cdl or some such thing ( New to Mercedes, very strange nomenclature for cars.....confusing for what purpose? ) Have read about water in the cab and damage to electronic parts like the SAM, etc. But, hoping the simple windshield seal/gasket/weathersrtip whatever is the problem.

Edit, new batteries were put in this fall, MB did diagnostic, Alt and volt regulator good....BUT, couldnt find problem unless they got $3k from previous owner.

Last edited by cabojim; 12-29-2018 at 07:36 AM. Reason: no video
Old 12-29-2018, 12:43 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,417 Likes on 3,146 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by cabojim
Questions on where to get a replacement part for the lower windshield, as it seems impossible to find parts ANYWHERE
Part # 2118301213 replaces 2118300013, $80 new https://www.parts.com/

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Water collector.pdf (113.8 KB, 60 views)
Old 12-29-2018, 07:40 AM

E320 wagaon
Thank you for this information. The part you mentioned, It seems to be formed or shaped in the opposite direction the way the windshield is curved. Is this the part in video #2? ( I added them just now ) The dry rot?
Old 12-29-2018, 08:23 AM

E320 wagaon
OK, I typed in the part number in a general web search and came up with a picture that looks like what it's supposed to look like:

https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/434...kaAuxhEALw_wcB

Guessing the schematic at parts.com just hasn't finished drafting school yet.

Again, thank you for this information. Any chance you have a beed on where to find/buy a SAM, that x1 fuse/module thing, or battery regulator. Items mentioned in battery drain threads? Can't seem to find those either.
Old 12-29-2018, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
The piece you show on video is just cosmetic molding.
Windshield is glued to the car with polyurethane caulk that makes at wide bed attaching it to the frame.
Since the trim is rotted already, I would pull it out to expose the actual seal and see for penetration there.
Also those sedans have AC cores draining on side of center console. When bottom drain is clog, the water runs down console on the floor.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,417 Likes on 3,146 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by cabojim
Any chance you have a beed on where to find/buy a SAM, that x1 fuse/module thing, or battery regulator. Items mentioned in battery drain threads? Can't seem to find those either.
New, start here: https://www.mbdirectparts.com/ normally # should be stamped on part to be replaced to shop used.