Getting irritated now

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350
Getting irritated now

Hi all,
Appreciate the insight to issues from those with experience, and hoping for a lifeline here. 2006 E350 I have had about a year now. Bought it used as a daily driver. Spent last fall correcting drive line issues. Now its the motors turn to act up. I had what I would describe as misfire at idle, about every 3-5 seconds or so. My codes were lean at idle, banks 1&2, with the ever present stuck intake tumbler code caused by a broken actuator lever.Bought the upgrade part, and had not gotten around to fixing it yet. The lean codes were recent additions. Suspecting more than just an O2 sensor issue, as both went at same time, I turned to the MAF. Changing that did not help. Checked fuel pressure, all good. Did a deeper dive, and surely found the issue I thought. Had a significant vacuum leak front intake manifold, specifically the actuator lever that controls one bank of flaps. It was broken, allowing a huge air leak.Tore off the manifold and replaced with new one. The flaps internal were broken, and just a big mess overall. With the new manifold, she runs stronger than ever. But I still have that damned idle skip or misfire, whatever you wish to call it. All codes are clear. When motor is cold and first started, no skip for about a minute or two, then it starts acting up. Any ideas guys? Plugs are about a year old, and I change coil packs as needed. They are pretty easy to diagnose when they go bad. Ran a few cans of treatment through the gas hoping to clean up a dirty injector. What other sensors may be causing this that doesn't throw a code. I did not perform a compression check, but I will now. I'm not suspecting mechanical issue, as the problem seems intermittent. Thanks for any insight.
Old 12-29-2021, 11:06 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2011 E550 Coupe
It's possible that you have some fuel injectors the are dirty and flowing poorly. Start by cleaning them with a treatment or two of Chevron injector cleaner with Techron. I had this problem with my car and this corrected it. Injectors can get gummed up so the they do not perform well at certain pulse widths and you get shuddering. I had a friend that had poor running at idle but great at speed, turned out he had a bad injector that did not flow at low pulse widths (Low speed). The best tune up you can do with an injected car with more than 40K miles is to have all the injectors cleaned and matched. It will give back around 15% of your power, maybe more if they were really bad..