E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Audio system nightmare

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 03:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500
Audio system nightmare

I had rca outputs installed on my original stereo to accommadate the amps and subwoofer upgrade. A local shop installed 2 JL amps and a Image Dynamic ID4 12 sub with a set of Phoenix Gold Elite 3 ways in custom built floor pods. It worked great, but the stupid auto sound level adjuster keeps raising and lowering my volume. I couldnt get it to stay the same, it just goes up and down all the time and at higher volumes the stock deck distorts like crazy. I wanted navigation but didnt want to spend another 3k on the command unit and then have to deal with the auto volume and distortion, so I opted to go with the new Pioneer N1 navi/dvd/cd unit. Thinking it would be a synch to swap out like my past benzes, I had the shop pull the stock deck and build a new trim plate to install the N1. Please beware, that the 03+ E class is all digital and optical. Apparently the shop tapped a wrong wire, they got the unit to work but my sunroof, doorlocks, power windows, ac controls all stopped working. Plus the stock ignition is also digital so now they couldnt tap the turnon lead from the new deck into the ignition and it got tapped into a constant power, ending up draining my battery. Now the car is at Topline, the famous bay area Benz troubleshooter, who has had it for over a week now trying to figure out the codes and wiring problems and trying to fix everything. This install and troubleshoot job is going to cost me well over $1000. So before you guys start pulling out the stock deck or commands, find someone that has had experience with 03+ benzos and know how to bypass oem digital and optical wiring, or else you are going to have some serious issues and problems. The car should be done this weekend or next week, Ill post pics then.
Old 06-18-2004, 05:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Hi OG,
That is a very honest and interesting post. It highlights to me what I consider to be a major worry when anyone carries out a modification on a relatively new vehicle.

There is no way you could make a claim against Mercedes-Benz for warranty work, and likewise that must surely apply to any installer that is not an authorised Mercedes-Benz agent?

There are some really clever technicians that can do things that the main dealer claims are not possible. I wonder though what would happen if weeks after the modification, the central locking or sun roof fails as a direct result of a damaged fibre cable and the original installer was not available???

Good luck with the repair,
John
Cloudy Torquay
Old 06-18-2004, 05:09 AM

E500
Not too worried

Ive got some very close friends who are service advisers at different MBZ dealers in my area. Im sure a bottle of Dom would go a long way hahaa. Ive modified every benz Ive ever owned, about 8 of them since 98 and was still able to get the dealer to cover problems that non-authorized MBZ stores installed or errors. If you really think about it, its not like its their own company and most guys with a little coaxing or umm bribing, would be happy to replace or fix problems for you. About 5 yrs ago, I had a W210 E320 with a Japanese body kit on it. You may or maynot know that they like to slam their cars to the ground so the kit hung extremely low. Even without lowing the car, the front bumper was about 2 inches off the ground. The local MBZ dealer took the car in for warranty word and cracked the bumper when it was coming off the lift. I had them pay for a brand new one, had them airship it over from Japan, and paint it in their body shop. The total bill for that crack cost them over $2200 since shipping was about 650. My advisor covered all that without a blink.
Old 06-19-2004, 03:08 AM

W211, landcruiser
sound system

thanks for the info, good luck and let us know the results!
Old 06-19-2004, 03:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Also remeber that many of the wires in modern MB's are multiplexed. If cut or tapped into it will cuase havoc, much as your have expiranced.
Old 06-19-2004, 08:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Sounds as if the old saying is true when fooling around with these new benz...."play with the bull and you get the horns"...
Good luck.