E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Noob needing advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320 CDi Avantgarde Estate
Noob needing advice

Hi All. I have a 2006 E320 CDi Avantgarde. It has about 130k on the clock and is starting to show it's age.
I recently took it to my local indy and they found several things that could/should be addressed. The problem is the repairs would cost more than the car is worth. It is still running and road worthy so ive decided not to bother for now.
I'm now thinking that maybe it's a good opportunity to start a new hobby and use it as a learning project for me and my son. I've never done anything with cars further than adding fuel, topping up washer fluid and changing a wheel, so i really am starting from scratch.
I'd love your advice about the basics i need to get started and whether i could attempt any of the advisories below.
1) Faulty glow plug control unit
2) New battery control module
3) new turbo
4) rear flexis starting to perish
5) brake fluid change
6) cylinder 5 glow plug replacing

Please remember my complete lack of experience and a very very very tight budget.

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2019, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Welcome to the forum.
Modern cars have different technology in them, so you need to study each repair separately.
For example if you can plug-in your android charger and put a screw in door hinges - you have skill for replacing glow plug controller or battery module. You will have to study youtube to figure out what to do, but that should be easy.
New turbo is most likely BS somebody is trying to sell you. Read the forum if you have any symptoms, but those turbos last for very long time.
Brake fluid change? You are not a young person, so how did you manage this on other cars? This car has SBC brakes, so there is more to it, but not that much different for a person who can read with understanding.
Glow plug can be tricky job as they like to freeze and with lack of skills, somebody can break it turning few minutes job into a nightmare. So this is one I would leave to professional.
Enjoy the drive.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320 CDi Avantgarde Estate
Originally Posted by kajtek1
Welcome to the forum.
Modern cars have different technology in them, so you need to study each repair separately.
For example if you can plug-in your android charger and put a screw in door hinges - you have skill for replacing glow plug controller or battery module. You will have to study youtube to figure out what to do, but that should be easy.
New turbo is most likely BS somebody is trying to sell you. Read the forum if you have any symptoms, but those turbos last for very long time.
Brake fluid change? You are not a young person, so how did you manage this on other cars? This car has SBC brakes, so there is more to it, but not that much different for a person who can read with understanding.
Glow plug can be tricky job as they like to freeze and with lack of skills, somebody can break it turning few minutes job into a nightmare. So this is one I would leave to professional.
Enjoy the drive.
Thanks for this. That is kinda what i was hoping for. Is it worth investing in a diagnostic kit? If so can anyone recommend a good budget one?
Old 01-14-2019, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Yes, advanced scanner is a must on those cars or you will flood the forum with questions nobody can answer without codes.
I think the best value today is iCarsoft MBII
Also if you have android, buty one of those $7 OBD/bluetooth plugs so with Torque app you can easy monitor the car while driving.