SBC Brake Failure + No codes = No warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 09:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
Unhappy SBC Brake Failure + No codes = No warranty

2005 E320 CDI
Looking for advice on what seems like a unique situation. My brakes have failed multiple times over the past few years. This is the latest fail going 80mph on I75 :
Previous to this failure, about 2 months ago, I had the car in for new tires and to check the SBC system for warranty. They told me no codes = no warranty work. They informed me that the brake fluid was dirty and needed flushing. They said the fluid was extremely dark. I visually compared the brake fluid to new Pentosin Super DOT 4 fluid and could not see a difference. The fluid hadn't been flushed since I owned it(2 years), so I flushed it myself with the MB Star system. I flushed the fluid completely and correctly. The above failure happened after the fluid flush.
This past week, I returned to the dealer with above video and they agreed to look at the SBC system again since the video clearly showed something was wrong. After inspection, they told me the same thing. No codes = no warranty and your brake fluid is dirty. It needs flushing. I replied that I had just flushed the fluid and they replied with "you can't do it correctly yourself" blah blah blah... They did send me the below image which does show some sediment adhered to the side of the reservoir. I overlooked that in the flush and feel like an idiot now. This sediment is from before my recent flush and considering the fluid is only 2 months old, I can't understand why the fluid would be the likely culprit for my recent failure(as the dealer asserts). Even if I replace/clean this reservoir, would that make a difference since this sediment is likely adhered to other unreachable parts of the brake system? Is the sediment affecting anything since it's adhered and not in suspension? Open to ideas. My main concern is how do I fix this problem? Dealer's solution is to flush the fluid again. Not sure that will do anything productive. I don't want another failure. Thank you

Last edited by danielgetsthis; 01-15-2019 at 09:12 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Well.... that fluid does look like badly neglected.
I think at this point you need to bite the bullet and let dealer do the flush.
If the failure happens after that, have the camera ready and scanner to record the code. Some codes might clear after few driving cycles, so going to dealer few days later might not work.
Service extended by 20,000 miles is not making good impression

Last edited by kajtek1; 01-15-2019 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:22 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Let the dealer do the flush. They charge something like $99. This way they have it documented.
Mike T.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 333 Posts
C320
Originally Posted by danielgetsthis
2005 E320 CDI
Looking for advice on what seems like a unique situation. My brakes have failed multiple times over the past few years. This is the latest fail going 80mph on I75 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuZEp4J5nTM
Previous to this failure, about 2 months ago, I had the car in for new tires and to check the SBC system for warranty. They told me no codes = no warranty work. They informed me that the brake fluid was dirty and needed flushing. They said the fluid was extremely dark. I visually compared the brake fluid to new Pentosin Super DOT 4 fluid and could not see a difference. The fluid hadn't been flushed since I owned it(2 years), so I flushed it myself with the MB Star system. I flushed the fluid completely and correctly. The above failure happened after the fluid flush.
This past week, I returned to the dealer with above video and they agreed to look at the SBC system again since the video clearly showed something was wrong. After inspection, they told me the same thing. No codes = no warranty and your brake fluid is dirty. It needs flushing. I replied that I had just flushed the fluid and they replied with "you can't do it correctly yourself" blah blah blah... They did send me the below image which does show some sediment adhered to the side of the reservoir. I overlooked that in the flush and feel like an idiot now. This sediment is from before my recent flush and considering the fluid is only 2 months old, I can't understand why the fluid would be the likely culprit for my recent failure(as the dealer asserts). Even if I replace/clean this reservoir, would that make a difference since this sediment is likely adhered to other unreachable parts of the brake system? Is the sediment affecting anything since it's adhered and not in suspension? Open to ideas. My main concern is how do I fix this problem? Dealer's solution is to flush the fluid again. Not sure that will do anything productive. I don't want another failure. Thank you

Bull ****, the red message doesn't pop up without codes. Get your own scanner and read the codes. There are codes in your SBC.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by tjts1
Bull ****, the red message doesn't pop up without codes. Get your own scanner and read the codes. There are codes in your SBC.
I've heard that from many people and no one seems to believe me or the dealer. I do have my own scanner. It's an MB Star C3 scanner and I have never been able to see an SBC code on my computer. The only thing I haven't done is put the scanner on the car while the error is happening or directly after it happened. That's my next step and I will need to keep the scanner in the trunk. I'm not sure that would make a difference though because the dealer needs to see the code and by the time they get it, the code will be gone. I guess if the code does show, I could have it towed directly to the dealer with the key in the same position to keep it in error state. Then I have to hope my battery is strong enough to make it to the dealer. Basically, I think I have a faulty computer or SBC unit that does not store errors. I have nothing...
Old 01-15-2019, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 660 Likes on 477 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
Any outstanding recalls that need to be done to the braking system? Might ask that pointed question to the dealer, armed with your VIN. While you're there, spend the $100 to have them flush the brakes like they like.