E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Heater Smell and some questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320 CDI
Heater Smell and some questions

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum, and new to MB ownership too. I just bought a 2005 E320 CDI and I have a couple questions.
1. I'm getting an slight burnt smell from the vents when the heater is one, any ideas?
2. I can't for the life of me figure out how to lower the passenger seat headrest. The driver's seat is electric, but the passenger seat has a dummy button for the headrest and I can't figure out how to do it manually.

Thanks everyone, excited to be a part!
Old 01-15-2019, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 678 Likes on 491 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
If the button for the headrest adjustment doesn't work, a bit of diagnostics is in order. It's not a dummy button. There isn't a manual adjustment. If you wanted to get jiggy with it (set it and forget it) you can take the back of the passenger seat off and see what you need to do to move it by hand (spinning some gears with a screwdriver?).

Re: the burnt smell, there's an auxiliary electric heater built into the HVAC system that supplies warm air when the engine is still cold. That may have some crud built up on it, or it may be burned out. When you first start the car in the morning can you get warm air out of the vents? Pushing the "AC OFF" button will light the red indicator light on the button and will disable the auxiliary heater.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:02 AM

E320 CDI
Originally Posted by rapidoxidation
If the button for the headrest adjustment doesn't work, a bit of diagnostics is in order. It's not a dummy button. There isn't a manual adjustment. If you wanted to get jiggy with it (set it and forget it) you can take the back of the passenger seat off and see what you need to do to move it by hand (spinning some gears with a screwdriver?).

Re: the burnt smell, there's an auxiliary electric heater built into the HVAC system that supplies warm air when the engine is still cold. That may have some crud built up on it, or it may be burned out. When you first start the car in the morning can you get warm air out of the vents? Pushing the "AC OFF" button will light the red indicator light on the button and will disable the auxiliary heater.
Thanks, I'll give both of those a try!
Old 01-14-2021, 09:21 PM

2008 E350 4Matic
Anyone know where the auxiliary motor can be found on a 2008 E350 4Matic sedan?
Old 01-14-2021, 11:28 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Two 2005 E320 CDI, ML63 4MATIC
I had the same burning oil smell with my 05CDI. The issue for me was a leaking oil separator and cap. Oil was draining down the right side of the engine and collecting on the tray/heat shield under the air filter. There is a drain hole in the tray that is directly above the catalyst which was the source of the smell. I first tried an aftermarket oil separator which had bad plastic welds and leaked from the top of the chambers. The fix was to buy the genuine MB part. Thankfully Pelican gave me a credit which I used for other parts. There are many MB dealers that discount parts so shop around for the best price. I have used Suburban MB in Ann Arbor MI and Keys MB in Van Nuys CA. The cost difference was negligible between the two parts I bought and I have been leak free for the past year.

Last edited by rocky472; 01-14-2021 at 11:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
steliosgmich (01-30-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 03:09 PM

w211 2008 E200
hello i have the same smell in my E200 W211 2008......any photos from the part you changed ??
Old 01-30-2023, 03:10 PM

w211 2008 E200
hello i have the same smell in my E200 W211 2008......any photos from the part you ch

Originally Posted by rocky472
I had the same burning oil smell with my 05CDI. The issue for me was a leaking oil separator and cap. Oil was draining down the right side of the engine and collecting on the tray/heat shield under the air filter. There is a drain hole in the tray that is directly above the catalyst which was the source of the smell. I first tried an aftermarket oil separator which had bad plastic welds and leaked from the top of the chambers. The fix was to buy the genuine MB part. Thankfully Pelican gave me a credit which I used for other parts. There are many MB dealers that discount parts so shop around for the best price. I have used Suburban MB in Ann Arbor MI and Keys MB in Van Nuys CA. The cost difference was negligible between the two parts I bought and I have been leak free for the past year.

hello i have the same smell in my E200 W211 2008......any photos from the part you changed ??