E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

If the automatic dimming "eye" on the rearview is blocked...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 Porsche 997TT
If the automatic dimming "eye" on the rearview is blocked...

OK, here we go. I took my car in to have a laser etched rear view mirror Valentine V1 radar detector and a Lidatek laser jammer. After leaving the installer I noticed a few things. First I immediately noticed that the rear view mirror and left side view were very dark. Dimming I guess you can say. I've never even seen them like this before. Then I turn on the radio and although I always keep the display set to automatic, it was dark. Locked in "night" if you will. Now i'm getting mad. Then I close the sunroof to turn on the A/C. I turn it on, I hear it but I don't see it. The climate control display is completely dark! I'm just wondering if that "eye" on the rearview mirror was blocked or obstructed while they had the mirror apart, is it possible I would be experiencing these things. I'm hoping it's something and not some huge electrical issue that I've got mysefl into.
Old 06-19-2004, 05:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 Mercedes Benz S500L AMG Premium Plus
Re: If the automatic dimming "eye" on the rearview is blocked...

Originally posted by cte430
OK, here we go. I took my car in to have a laser etched rear view mirror Valentine V1 radar detector and a Lidatek laser jammer. After leaving the installer I noticed a few things. First I immediately noticed that the rear view mirror and left side view were very dark. Dimming I guess you can say. I've never even seen them like this before. Then I turn on the radio and although I always keep the display set to automatic, it was dark. Locked in "night" if you will. Now i'm getting mad. Then I close the sunroof to turn on the A/C. I turn it on, I hear it but I don't see it. The climate control display is completely dark! I'm just wondering if that "eye" on the rearview mirror was blocked or obstructed while they had the mirror apart, is it possible I would be experiencing these things. I'm hoping it's something and not some huge electrical issue that I've got mysefl into.

It sounds as if they have either put the mirror back together incorrectly or have damaged one of its componets. The symptoms you describe are consistent with the "eye" being covered/ inoperable.
Old 06-19-2004, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'16 528i MSport
Lets just say that by installing these doohickies, you have managed to F up other things. Your loss now if you try to go to MB to fix it. Hope you got warranty on that installation...
Old 06-19-2004, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus

Are you referring to the sensor on the FRONT of the mirror (towards the windshield) or to the back of the car (in the hole in the mirror glass).

The one pointing to the front, if blocked, will cause everything to go dark. The one going towards the back, if light input through this sensor exceeds light input through the forward facing sensor, then the mirrors will go dark.

Messing up wires in the mirror mounting... that will also cause problems.

-s-
Old 06-19-2004, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
i am sure that etching had something to do with it. Or the radar display could have something to do with it. As scorchie said, the sensor facing the windshield measures ambient light outside the car and the sensor you can see when you look into the mirror is for measuring the light coming from behind. I can think of one thing. The light being emitted from the valentine 1 display could be too much and trigger the mirror sensor to darken the display. I have no idea why your climate control display is dark though. I don't think they are related.
Old 06-19-2004, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz

man, every benz u have always has issues. Sorry man, hope everything gets fixed right the first time!