Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > E-Class (W211)
04 E-320  RED Brake warning question >

04 E-320 RED Brake warning question

Notices
E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

04 E-320 RED Brake warning question

 
Old 01-22-2019, 11:23 AM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: San Diego
Posts: 28
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2004 E230
04 E-320 RED Brake warning question

I did all the pads and sensors a few months ago. And the car has been fine BUT I am starting to get the brake warning, and now im getting this red warning.
Everything is working fine, I pulled all the wheels and looked everything over. All the pads and sensors are fine. Bake pedal feels fine.

What would be the next step? I'm thinking the small battery under the hood is on its way out? Is there a way to test it at home? or do i need to take it in to a auto parts store to load test it.
Could the stupid pump be on its way out?

The brake Pedal switch?


My Girlfriend drove the car over 50 miles yesterday and she did not get the red warring. it has only turned red twice in the last two weeks.



Last edited by Jerry2197; 01-22-2019 at 12:06 PM.
Jerry2197 is offline  
Old 01-22-2019, 12:46 PM
  #2  
Out Of Control!!
 
konigstiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: North Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 10,014
Thanked 1,028 Times in 879 Posts
'71 Pinto
Have dealer check SBC under extended warranty.



konigstiger is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to konigstiger For This Useful Post:
Jerry2197 (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 01:37 PM
  #3  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: San Diego
Posts: 28
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2004 E230
I was going to have them check it, If its free for them to check it.
Jerry2197 is offline  
Old 01-23-2019, 09:40 PM
  #4  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Lake Wallenpaupack,PA
Posts: 57
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
2005 W211 320 CDI
SBC failing, most likely. They have checked mine, free of charge, set the appointment and that was it. I have asked for a loaner and got one. Not sure if they offer it unless you ask before.
miniion26 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to miniion26 For This Useful Post:
Jerry2197 (01-24-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 01:36 PM
  #5  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 42
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
S55
The SBC back up battery is just a motorcycle battery. Open the cover, use a multi meter check for DC Volts, should be around 12.0 or more. Also if you do the check with the car running it should show higher vintage than when checking it with the car off. If it shows the same voltage car on & car off you charging curcuit has a problem like a blown fuse.

There is also the brake switch that could be bad, check this thread:
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/242478-brake-visit-workshop-message-stop-light-switch-10-part-10-minute-easy-diy.html

If it's not either of those it's probably the SBC pump, supposidly the dealer is only allowed to cover The SBC if the actual pump fails, I guess there are 2 fault codes that MB covers the repair, unless this has changed since the NHTSA settlement?

Hope this helps
Cambz is online now  
Old 01-28-2019, 09:26 AM
  #6  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: San Diego
Posts: 28
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2004 E230
Originally Posted by Cambz View Post
The SBC back up battery is just a motorcycle battery. Open the cover, use a multi meter check for DC Volts, should be around 12.0 or more. Also if you do the check with the car running it should show higher vintage than when checking it with the car off. If it shows the same voltage car on & car off you charging curcuit has a problem like a blown fuse.

There is also the brake switch that could be bad, check this thread:
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-easy-diy.html

If it's not either of those it's probably the SBC pump, supposidly the dealer is only allowed to cover The SBC if the actual pump fails, I guess there are 2 fault codes that MB covers the repair, unless this has changed since the NHTSA settlement?

Hope this helps
Thank you
I checked the battery this weekend It was at 12.38V So I think its good.
If the brake switch under the dash was bad would the brake lights still work? My brake lights work just fine. i have the brake warning visit work shop as soon as I get in the car. I get the red warning like every other day.
Jerry2197 is offline  
Old 01-28-2019, 09:55 AM
  #7  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
bbirdwell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 1,830
Thanked 387 Times in 316 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Jerry2197 View Post
Thank you
I checked the battery this weekend It was at 12.38V So I think its good.
If the brake switch under the dash was bad would the brake lights still work? My brake lights work just fine. i have the brake warning visit work shop as soon as I get in the car. I get the red warning like every other day.
Get the car repaired ASAP before you kill yourself and/or someone else. If you don't have the proper diagnostic tools to troubleshoot and repair, take it to someone who does. The SBC system is not your grandfather's hydraulic system; this is literally a brake-by-wire system with minimal safety backups.
bbirdwell is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 06:06 PM
  #8  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
2003 E320
Originally Posted by miniion26 View Post
SBC failing, most likely. They have checked mine, free of charge, set the appointment and that was it. I have asked for a loaner and got one. Not sure if they offer it unless you ask before.
I'm scheduled to bring my 03 in this weekend. I've already requested a loaner, so I'm happy they offer that service. 1. Do they charge your credit card any sort of deposit? 2. How long before you knew if your repair was covered? 3. did you get to keep the loaner until the replacement was taken care of?
jaydub727 is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 08:53 AM
  #9  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Lake Wallenpaupack,PA
Posts: 57
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
2005 W211 320 CDI
They do not charge your card, as long as the repairs are limited to the SBC related issue, and covered as well. In my case, I rolled with the car in and they did a diagnosis for about 45 min. Then we rescheduled for a week later. No credit card needed at any time.
It was at that point that I have asked for a loaner, and got it, but they never offered.
I kept the loaner for 2 days, since I could not get back in time to the dealership. No issue there.
Hope this helps. Good luck!
miniion26 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to miniion26 For This Useful Post:
jaydub727 (02-12-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 08:56 AM
  #10  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Lake Wallenpaupack,PA
Posts: 57
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
2005 W211 320 CDI
Originally Posted by bbirdwell View Post
Get the car repaired ASAP before you kill yourself and/or someone else. If you don't have the proper diagnostic tools to troubleshoot and repair, take it to someone who does. The SBC system is not your grandfather's hydraulic system; this is literally a brake-by-wire system with minimal safety backups.
I cannot stress how right birdwell is. My car got the warning as I was backing out my driveway into steady traffic. I barely stopped before rolling out onto the street. After I have caught my breath, I did restart it, checked if everything was ok
and drove STRAIGHT to the stealership.
miniion26 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to miniion26 For This Useful Post:
jaydub727 (02-12-2019)
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 04 E-320 RED Brake warning question


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: