E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Nano Paint

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the event of a respray, the ceramic coating (nano) has to be sprayed edge to edge
Old 06-20-2004, 09:12 AM

E320 CDI Elegance auto
Originally posted by G Unit
In the event of a respray, the ceramic coating (nano) has to be sprayed edge to edge
Do you mean that the full panel always has to be recoated.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:52 AM

04' E500 w/Appear. PKG, Panorama Roof
Darn- That makes repairs expensive correct? I mean even a door ding could cost a re-paint of the entire door?

Last edited by marksatex; 06-20-2004 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:58 AM

'06 SL65
Had my trunk lid spoiler painted and installed using conventional waterbase paint about 4 months ago and I can see the spider webbing began to rear it's ugly head but the factory nano paint....none.

Last edited by LIONHEAD; 06-20-2004 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-20-2004, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
I am amazed at the political bias posted by the European members. HOH's remark was neither political nor rude. He said that Europe was even more "green" than the U.S. That should not be construed to be negative, unless you are opposed to conservation. He then said he "guessed" that since Europe was much older...Nothing political there either.

The bias shown toward the U.S. and Bush on this forum (in a thread about paint" is astounding and I guess exposes the posters true feelings about the U.S.

I always like the phrase "Don't get me wrong I really like USA but ..." . It always proceeds a complete trashing of America.

Marksatex then tries to return the topic to paint. More bashing continues....then... marksatex hammers Bush and says that no one should now make a political comment in this thread.

That amounts to a statement that seems to say: "Let me give you my political view of the President. Now that is enough and no one else should make any additional comments. from another political opinion".

Apollo, glojo, and marksatex should be aware that their "OPINIONS" are just that...opinions. You no doubt think that every one on this forum agrees with your beliefs.
The "statistics" may or may not be correct. Your transition to Bush was unsupported by anything in the quoted articles.

To be upset by Hell on a Harley's comment was childish at best.

Last edited by etenn; 06-20-2004 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-20-2004, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally posted by etenn

I have NEVER been upset or any other 'negative' wording by 'Hell ona Yamahe'

We have often exchanged our thoughts and opinions which may have been slightly off topic, but I have always had a very good relationship with this gentleman.

Indeed there have been occassions where I have defended this 'biker'

John
Old 06-20-2004, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Originally posted by etenn
I am amazed at the political bias posted by the European members. HOH's remark was neither political nor rude. He said that Europe was even more "green" than the U.S. That should not be construed to be negative, unless you are opposed to conservation. He then said he "guessed" that since Europe was much older...Nothing political there either.

The bias shown toward the U.S. and Bush on this forum (in a thread about paint" is astounding and I guess exposes the posters true feelings about the U.S.

I always like the phrase "Don't get me wrong I really like USA but ..." . It always proceeds a complete trashing of America.

Marksatex then tries to return the topic to paint. More bashing continues....then... marksatex hammers Bush and says that no one should now make a political comment in this thread.

That amounts to a statement that seems to say: "Let me give you my political view of the President. Now that is enough and no one else should make any additional comments. from another political opinion".

Apollo, glojo, and marksatex should be aware that their "OPINIONS" are just that...opinions. You no doubt think that every one on this forum agrees with your beliefs.
The "statistics" may or may not be correct. Your transition to Bush was unsupported by anything in the quoted articles.

Finally... Someone actually read and understood my post (thoughts) as they were meant..... All I was trying to say is that the europeans have had the oportunity to polute their country more because there has been more people living there for centuries longer than here in America.... Weather it be from autos, steel factories, or a persons raw sewage. For this reason I believe they have the most strict enviormental regulations in the world especially for manufacturing factories (auto) thus one of the by-products is WATERBASED PAINTS....

The term "green" was used as a description of a factories effort to build something with little or no harm to the enviorement. I believe the europeans "coined" this word as I first saw this term used when reading info in our Volvo wagons manual we bought in 97. They bragged how the car was built with recycled products and the building process was less detrimental to the enviorment. (again WATERBASED PAINTS)

My statement was meant to be simple and true.... No hidden secret political agendas, no America bashing, or "off the cuff" remarks. If you did'nt understand what I was trying to say, then I'm sorry... Thanks to the few (etenn) that did.
Nuff Said.
Old 06-20-2004, 12:36 PM

04' E500 w/Appear. PKG, Panorama Roof
Geez- Whatever.... Thought I was taking your side Harley This thing is totally way out of whack ! And etenn- I apoligize if I upset you with my opinion- Thats all it was My opinion.

Let's drop this sh--.
Old 06-20-2004, 02:42 PM

2004 E500
Back to paint . . .

Lionhead, what have you been using on your nanopaint? The car in your sig looks gorgeous. I just gave my month old E its first waxing with NXT and I'm pleased with the result but there has been a lot of discussion about Nanowax on other threads.
Old 06-20-2004, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by Apollo
Do you mean that the full panel always has to be recoated.
As far as I know, yes that is the case. My father used to be a prepper and sprayer as a profession and he said that you can no longer "flick" the spray out to blend it into the rest of the bodywork, that entire panel has to be resprayed. So if you get a scratch on the roof, you are looking at a respray of the entire top, all the way down to the front and rear pillars.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:03 AM
ilm

2004 E320 / 2007 SL550 / 2008 GL450
So how do you tell if you have Nano Paint? I have a 2004 E320 that I picked up December 31, 03. Is there a special paint code on the car? Thanks!

Last edited by ilm; 06-22-2004 at 09:20 AM.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:06 AM

Originally posted by ilm
So how do you tell if you have Nano Paint? I have a 2004 E320 that I picked up December 31, 04. Is there a special paint code on the car? Thanks!
Look for a "C" in front of the paint code
Old 06-22-2004, 10:25 AM

1988 560SL (sold); 2001 E430 (sold); 2004 SL500; 2009 CL550
As far as the Honda vs. MB questions went....

The reason the Honda may have fewer chips is because of the different angle and slope of the hood. Plays all the difference in the aerodynamics and how a rock can come up and chip...the Honda may have a flatter front will forces rocks to hit the grill or go up and over.

Also, Germans notoriously have "soft" paint. They use the theory that softer paint will absorb the blow from a rock...other manufacturers use a harder finish on their paint which will either deflect the rock or chip.

Loving the Nano paint on my SL. Have a 2001E with many more hood chips...but not sure if it's the paint or the hood slope that makes all the difference.
Old 06-22-2004, 04:50 PM

SL500 E320 ML350
When did MB start the nanopaint thing? Does my 03 E55 have it?
Old 06-22-2004, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by benzboy
When did MB start the nanopaint thing? Does my 03 E55 have it?
E-Class (not 4Matic): Late September 2003
Old 06-24-2004, 01:27 AM

No, that' not quite right. Volvo was indeed one of the first if not first to do this but the paint is not water based. It's the solvent used in the painting process that's water based. Solvents are the real polluters and moving to water based solvents has big benefits for the environment. The only downside in my experience is that it takes a little longer before the paint truly hardens and if you pick up a car at a factory in Europe you have to be extra careful about chips and scratches (and no polishing the paint for 6 months) until the paint has fully cured.

Thanks.

-rollie
rdollie@att.net

[i]....For this reason I believe they have the most strict enviormental regulations in the world especially for manufacturing factories (auto) thus one of the by-products is WATERBASED PAINTS....

...I believe the europeans "coined" this word as I first saw this term used when reading info in our Volvo wagons manual we bought in 97. They bragged how the car was built with recycled products and the building process was less detrimental to the enviorment. (again WATERBASED PAINTS)

... [/B]
Old 06-28-2004, 11:39 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Gunther
As far as the Honda vs. MB questions went....

The reason the Honda may have fewer chips is because of the different angle and slope of the hood. Plays all the difference in the aerodynamics and how a rock can come up and chip...the Honda may have a flatter front will forces rocks to hit the grill or go up and over.

Also, Germans notoriously have "soft" paint. They use the theory that softer paint will absorb the blow from a rock...other manufacturers use a harder finish on their paint which will either deflect the rock or chip.

Loving the Nano paint on my SL. Have a 2001E with many more hood chips...but not sure if it's the paint or the hood slope that makes all the difference.
The angle on my g/f's accord coupe is not flatter than my car or others for that matter..it just chips less than MB's period. I hope the new nano paint fares better.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BANNED
I'm Starting to get Pissed Off

I was under the assumption that the 2005 C230K Spt Sdn had nano paint but my paint code is Black 040 with NO "C".
Nano or not o?
Old 07-07-2004, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 Yukon XL Denali, '06 Eclipse GS
Originally Posted by tyro
I was under the assumption that the 2005 C230K Spt Sdn had nano paint but my paint code is Black 040 with NO "C".
Nano or not o?
Hmm, then probably not. Usually paint codes that start with 'C' are the ones coated.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:44 PM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
Is your car 4matic?
Old 07-07-2004, 07:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cayenne GTS, Cayenne Turbo
I used to be paranoid with my paint also having owned 5 black cars previously...but I feel less paranoid with the nano on our tectite grey. Heck, I even run it through a brushed carwash and it comes out without any swirl marks!

The car also has only two rock chips after 16,000 miles, which is impressive compared to my 02 CLK430 which had the softest paint I've seen on a car.

Originally Posted by LIONHEAD
I have to say I'm impressed with the Nano Paint. The car is almost 6 months old and I usually detailing every week, there is no swirl marks (although had huge rock chip on the highway ). After 6 months with the 02 S500, 01 E320 4Matic, and 98 C5, the swirlmarks were visible (always using microfiber mitt and towels). Kudos on the Nano Paint!
Old 07-07-2004, 08:12 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Arnee
I used to be paranoid with my paint also having owned 5 black cars previously...but I feel less paranoid with the nano on our tectite grey. Heck, I even run it through a brushed carwash and it comes out without any swirl marks!
Brush car washes generally don't create swirls but fine scratches dulling the paint over time.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:21 PM

'05 E320 CDI;'04 S2k;'94 Supra TT;'10 QX56;'38 Buick;98 Port City Offset Late Model
The C230k is only RWD in the US. If your '05 doesn't have nano paint I would complain to the dealer and MB. It was advertised as having nano-paint, the only model that was.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:54 PM

2004 E500
I had a strange experience the other day. I was walking through the parking lot to go to lunch and saw this old lady backing a huge new white Cadillac DeVille out of the spot across the lane from my car. She was using the mirrors and, sure enough, she backed into the rear bumper of my E. It was not a "touch" -- I saw my car rock. As she turned her wheels and proceeded to drive off, I ran down the lane and banged on her window to get her to stop. When I checked my car, there was a big white streak on the bumper but, when I touched it with my finger to see how bad the scratch was, the paint came right off on my dry fingertip. There was no dent, no scratch, and the paint came right off. In the past, the only way I could get something like that off would be to rub or polish it out. Either the nanopaint or the Meguiar NXT wax or both had to have protected the bumper.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:06 PM

'05 E320 CDI;'04 S2k;'94 Supra TT;'10 QX56;'38 Buick;98 Port City Offset Late Model
I just tried the NXT on the E39. Strange stuff. Goes on easily. Looks better after the booster is applied. Feels very slippery to the touch. Like a real wax job. However without the greasy feeling.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Nano Paint