Garage Door Opener Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 256 Likes on 227 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2008 ML550 4Matic; 2004 C320
Originally Posted by NewShockerGuy
I still can't get this to work at all with my liftmasters.

I've done everything here.

I clear out the presets so that then the led flashes rapidly.

I go to my garage door opener since it has the learn button on it. I push it. It lights up orange.

I then go back into the car, push and hold the first button on the left, and hit the remote garage button that's already programmed to the door. Light flashes twice.

I go back to the garage door opener, push the learn button so it lights up orange.

Go back into the car and push the first button on the mirror.... nothing happens. It illuminates in the car but nothing happens to the light inside the garage.

Surely it can't be this difficult. What am I missing?

EDIT:

I've tried the following instructions here, MB command instructions and Liftmaster instructions listed above. Nothing works.

According to liftmaster they changed their code to 2.0+ or something like that in 2011. Then on homelink's site they indicate the following:
"If your HomeLink programming was unsuccessful, you may need a HomeLink Compatibility Bridge Kit which will allow your garage door opener to be compatible with HomeLink. Please contact us for more information."

-Nigel
Not sure if it makes a difference or not, but I was only able to get mine working with the center button on the mirror. Neither left or right would work.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:51 PM

Received 130 Likes on 105 Posts
20' RCF, 18' NX, 09' E350, 07' Solara, 05' STi, 01' Ranger
I just got back into town. Had the 855LM home link repeater waiting for me.

SUPER easy to make this work with liftmasters or anything that has the newer 2.0+ security.

Kit comes with plug in repeater, and remote. The remote is ONLY used to link up the home link button in the car, that's it. It will not open the garage door.

Steps I followed:

1. Cleared out current home link buttons in car.
2. Hold down first home link button, and repeater opener, led starts flashing slow, then rapidly. Once flashing rapidly let go of both buttons.
3. Plug in repeater to wall outlet. (They say close to garage doors, currently mine is on the back wall until I make an out let in the ceiling.)
4. Go to remote control wall panel and push the learn button.
5. Go back into car and push what ever home link button you want to open the garage door.
6. Garage door light turns on. Push home link button one last time. ( I had to hold hte button down for 1.5 seconds).
7. Door opens or closes depending on where it was. (I had it already opened so it closed).

Do same process for other buttons or if you have multiple garage doors. You can skip step 3 since it's already plugged in.

Tested many times and it works great!

Took literately all of 30 seconds to do with this device!

Hope this helps anyone in the future. It's nice not having to have a garage remote control in the car honestly. Very clean looking and nice that the home link buttons work. This would probably make sense that our 05' clk didn't work with home link because I didn't have this device.

-Nigel
Old 05-18-2017, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E250 and 300DT
Garage door opener range 10 feet or less

I see a lot of posting for programming issues. Its a Pain in the A$$ with Liftmaster.

My issue is the opener wont work till right in front of the door, is anyone else having this issue?

All my other vehicles and remotes work from down the block
Old 05-18-2017, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 255 Likes on 233 Posts
2001 E320 Wagon, 2006 LBZ Silverado, 2007 E63 (sold), 2001 E55 (sold)
I've had no luck getting it to work on my E63 but it was no problem with my 210 E55. This is at the same house too.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:09 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by jb4trucks
I see a lot of posting for programming issues. Its a Pain in the A$$ with Liftmaster.

My issue is the opener wont work till right in front of the door, is anyone else having this issue?

All my other vehicles and remotes work from down the block
To troubleshoot the issue, have you tried using the liftmaster remote from inside the car in around the same area as the cars remote? Do you have the oem windshield? With my cdi I have to be in the driveway in front of the garage door to get it to work. I have a chamberlain garage door opener. When using the chamberlain remote, I can be out in the street and the door would open.
Mike T.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:10 PM

e320
Gate Opener Solution for 2018 E-Class

While it was a slam dunk to program the rolling code garage door openers, I could not program the Linear Gate opener for our subdivision (that does not have a rolling code) using the instructions provided in the manual.Tried a variety of different ways but no success. Then,using the logic that the gate/garage door opener transmitter in the rearview mirror was likely to be facing outward, or perhaps the actual signal transmitting sensor was embedded in the front grill, I pressed the leftmost button under the rearview mirror that I wanted to program for the gate and stepped out of the car and pointed the remote from the OUTSIDE of the car at the mirror and then across the entire width of the front grill. And like magic, the code was accepted and the button works – not sure where the transmitting sensor is located but it does not matter now.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:46 PM

Lexus RX400h, ordered GL:C43
I have a different problem with Homelink & my new Mercedes GLC43. I've programmed the Homelink successfully, but when I'm outside the garage and the sun is low, the garage door won't open. My liftmaster remote works fine, so I'm thinking the quality of the Benz homelink is not so great. Any advice?
Old 07-02-2018, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
The MB build-in remotes do have short range and I think the wave is directional to front.
I have garage on side of the house, where I have to make 90 degree turn and often have to move the car for the remote to work.
Seem W212 remote works better and it covers 433 MHz gate opener, where W211 does not.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:26 PM

Received 130 Likes on 105 Posts
20' RCF, 18' NX, 09' E350, 07' Solara, 05' STi, 01' Ranger
Arrow

Originally Posted by Buffman
I have a different problem with Homelink & my new Mercedes GLC43. I've programmed the Homelink successfully, but when I'm outside the garage and the sun is low, the garage door won't open. My liftmaster remote works fine, so I'm thinking the quality of the Benz homelink is not so great. Any advice?
Try adding a piece of wire to the existing antenna on the garage door. I have lift-master 8500's so they are up all the way to the top of the ceiling. I simply soldered on about another 12-15 inches of wire and my range drastically improved.

-Nigel
Old 07-10-2018, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
If you don't care about rolling codes, I bought new receiver/2 remotes on amazon for about $15.
The antenna is inside the miniature box and makes like 1/2" coil. Again - most of them are 433 MHz and this doesn't work with my W211, when it does with W212.
I had it working from 1/3 mile straight lane, although seem corners cut the signal down.
Good part that you can add the new receiver to wall switch circuit (need to find power supply) and still use regural remote where it works.
Old 07-29-2018, 01:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 SL550R
Originally Posted by NewShockerGuy
I just got back into town. Had the 855LM home link repeater waiting for me.

SUPER easy to make this work with liftmasters or anything that has the newer 2.0+ security.

Kit comes with plug in repeater, and remote. The remote is ONLY used to link up the home link button in the car, that's it. It will not open the garage door.

Steps I followed:

1. Cleared out current home link buttons in car.
2. Hold down first home link button, and repeater opener, led starts flashing slow, then rapidly. Once flashing rapidly let go of both buttons.
3. Plug in repeater to wall outlet. (They say close to garage doors, currently mine is on the back wall until I make an out let in the ceiling.)
4. Go to remote control wall panel and push the learn button.
5. Go back into car and push what ever home link button you want to open the garage door.
6. Garage door light turns on. Push home link button one last time. ( I had to hold hte button down for 1.5 seconds).
7. Door opens or closes depending on where it was. (I had it already opened so it closed).

Do same process for other buttons or if you have multiple garage doors. You can skip step 3 since it's already plugged in.

Tested many times and it works great!

Took literately all of 30 seconds to do with this device!

Hope this helps anyone in the future. It's nice not having to have a garage remote control in the car honestly. Very clean looking and nice that the home link buttons work. This would probably make sense that our 05' clk didn't work with home link because I didn't have this device.

-Nigel
Crazy how many posts I had to go through to find this answer! I could not for the life of me get the homelink on the car to respond or take the code from the handheld remote!!!!

If you have newer Liftmaster and older Homelink, like my 2009 SL550, just get the repeater and save yourself some headache.

Old 05-26-2021, 08:32 PM

2011 SL550
You're exactly correct, Sir. Worked like a charm, Sir!
Old 12-05-2021, 06:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E320 CDI, Jetta 06 TDI, GLS450 20, Boat:2 Volvo TAMD75+1 Kubota genset
Got a new rolling code liftmaster to work with 2005 CDI, had to get the repeater box.
Cannot believe how sensitive the mirror circuit is to position of remote when programming, literally only worked in contact with rear on drivers' side...otherwise no issues.
Old 12-11-2021, 11:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 E320 Bluetec
I just moved and no longer need my repeater - pretty sure it is the 855LM. I would be happy to give it to someone for the cost of shipping. Located in Houston, TX.
Old 04-16-2024, 10:57 PM

2005 E320 Wagon
Garage door opener in my 05 e320

Garage door opener in my w211 e320 2005, soi am trying to program my cars garage door opener since I lost mine. We are now 2024, so idk if the software is too old to work or what? I am resetting by pressing the outer 2 buttons first (have you my light does not blink when I press the first one on the left by itself is it broke ?) Then I go hit the learn button on my garage door system in the garage, I go back to the car and do the tap for 2 seconds and wait 2 seconds , 3x and nothing. I have tried programing using all 3 buttons? I'm starting to think my button opener is broke in the car and won't reset bc the far left one does not light up at all???any ideas would be much appreciated
Old 04-16-2024, 10:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by btimpsonE320WGN
Garage door opener in my w211 e320 2005, soi am trying to program my cars garage door opener since I lost mine. We are now 2024, so idk if the software is too old to work or what? I am resetting by pressing the outer 2 buttons first (have you my light does not blink when I press the first one on the left by itself is it broke ?) Then I go hit the learn button on my garage door system in the garage, I go back to the car and do the tap for 2 seconds and wait 2 seconds , 3x and nothing. I have tried programing using all 3 buttons? I'm starting to think my button opener is broke in the car and won't reset bc the far left one does not light up at all???any ideas would be much appreciated
Read this whole thread. Your opener is likely too new to work with your car. You can buy something like this to make it work:
https://www.liftmaster.com/homelink-...OMELINK+RPTRMC
Old 04-17-2024, 04:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 856 Likes on 659 Posts
G550
A few additional important points:
1. Rolling code door openers can be paired with only a limited number of remotes. My Chamberlain openers work with up to 8. If you've paired other cars you no longer own, or remotes you no longer use (or lost), or if the house is new to you, you might be at the pairing limit. Clear the door opener memory (usually press/hold the learn button for at least 6 seconds). Then re-pair all the Homelink cars and all of your handheld remotes. Yes, a PITA, but there's no other way.
2. Some aftermarket remotes can be programmed to operate the door opener, but mysteriously won't work to program the Homelink. Use ONLY one of the door opener remotes that came with the door opener (or a genuine manufacturer brand remote). If you've cleared the door opener memory, re-pair the handheld remote first. Then use it to program/train each Homelink, and then pair each Homelink to the door opener. If you have 3 or 4 garage doors, 3 or 4 Homelinks, and a couple handheld remotes, this is going to take a couple hours to do.
3. If you live in a gated community, a Homelink might work to operate the gate, but then again you could spend hours trying to achieve the impossible. Hopefully your security gate is a new version that works automatically wth a transponder stuck on your windshield. Or continue to use the sun visor mounted remote that your HOA sold you.

By the time you've completed your 4th Homelink and 4th door, you'll be a certified expert or merely certifiable.