E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

E320 CDI--whats the engine sound like?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 01:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 C250 sport
Smile E320 CDI--whats the engine sound like?

hey! I'm just curious lol...any one who has the new CDI..what does the engine sound like?Like a Mercedes gasoline V6 or totally different??thanks!!
Old 06-22-2004, 02:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 Mercedes Benz S500L AMG Premium Plus
Re: E320 CDI--whats the engine sound like?

Originally posted by akbro93704
hey! I'm just curious lol...any one who has the new CDI..what does the engine sound like?Like a Mercedes gasoline V6 or totally different??thanks!!
From my experience it does not sound the same as a gas engine at tickover. However, once you hit about 1000 revs and above it is very difficult to tell the difference.

When at crusing speeds you simply cannot tell other than when you hit the throttle you end up in the back seat!!
Old 06-22-2004, 06:12 PM

05 E320 CDI
When idling, the engine does have a distinctive diesel burble, but it's quiet, unlike truck diesels. I do not have to stop the engine in order to be heard when placing an order at the local fast food drive-thru, unlike F250 diesel owners, for instance. As another data point, if the air-conditioning and radiator fans are running on high, (such as when starting up on a hot day after the car has been sitting in the sun for 6 hours) the sounds of those fans drown out the sound of the diesel idling. Of course this probably says more about the loudness of the fans than it says about the quietness of the engine.

The engine does "growl" like a diesel under heavy acceleration. When crusing at highway speeds, the engine's sound fades into the background. It is not a significant source of noise compared to other "normal" background highway noises.

So, in answer to your original question, yes, the diesel engine does sound different compared to the gas E's, but that is not to say it's either worse or better, just different.

I think most people would not find the diesel's sound objectionable.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:30 PM

'05 E320 CDI, '07 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2007 Porsche GT3
To the posts above, I'd add that I was unable to detect any diesel "clatter" at idle unless I was standing directly in front of the grille, and even then the sound was very muted.

Once underway, I couldn't detect any auditory evidence that I was driving a diesel. I felt the engine was smoother than the gas 3.2, not surprising as the CDI is an inline 6 which is inherently balanced, while the gas 3.2 is a V6.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:23 PM

E-220CDI, VW Multivan 2.5TDI
Talking

Well, just have a 220-CDI and my engine goes something like 'rrrrrrrrrrrum, rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr' and it goes 36 miles on a gallon