S211 Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 04:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E220 CDI 2003
Question S211 Electrical Problems

Hello,
Yesterday my friend bought his first Mercedes. Its a E220 CDI Avantgarde `04 Milage: 402000km. He got it really cheap due to electrical issues to the car. The previous owner changed Alternator, Aux battery, BCM, rear sam and the main battery without any success.
The problems that he is experiencing now are; Red lamp in dash with a battery saying "Visit Workshop", Blinkes dont work, Full beam dont work, windshieldwipers dont work, tail lights dont work (Brake lights do work), buttons on the steeringwheel and horn dont work, fuel gauge does not work, none of the buttons on the doors work (power windows etc.), lower control panel does not work, the AC does not work (Rest heat does work), The NTG player does work, but its acting like the car is shut off (Saying that it will shut down in 10min etc.), parktronic does not work, SRS lamp is lit and no response from pushing the airmatic suspension buttons. Engine and transmission seems to be fine.
I`ve tried reading fault codes without any real sucess it would not even let me connect to certain components (BCM and SRS). And where it lets me connect I am getting fault codes on the replaced BCM and rear SAM. It also gave me a fault code on the Steering column module. I guess that is why there is no response from the blinkers, full beam and steeringwheel buttons? Is there a easy way to test if these modules actually work or if its the wiring? Is there any chance that the workshop provided the previous owner with faulty modules? Ill post pictures later today of the fault codes that I am able to read.
I am sorry for my terrible english :/
All answers are appreciated. Feel free to ask questions!
Old 02-13-2019, 08:45 AM
L J

S211 2004 E220cdi
Update

Today i noticed that the car in question (the car that op i stalking about), wont turn off front right park light, and rear right tail lamp is flickering. This is with key out, lights and car off..
Old 02-14-2019, 03:37 AM

s211
Originally Posted by WiRiZi
Hello,
Yesterday my friend bought his first Mercedes. Its a E220 CDI Avantgarde `04 Milage: 402000km. He got it really cheap due to electrical issues to the car. The previous owner changed Alternator, Aux battery, BCM, rear sam and the main battery without any success.
The problems that he is experiencing now are; Red lamp in dash with a battery saying "Visit Workshop", Blinkes dont work, Full beam dont work, windshieldwipers dont work, tail lights dont work (Brake lights do work), buttons on the steeringwheel and horn dont work, fuel gauge does not work, none of the buttons on the doors work (power windows etc.), lower control panel does not work, the AC does not work (Rest heat does work), The NTG player does work, but its acting like the car is shut off (Saying that it will shut down in 10min etc.), parktronic does not work, SRS lamp is lit and no response from pushing the airmatic suspension buttons. Engine and transmission seems to be fine.
I`ve tried reading fault codes without any real sucess it would not even let me connect to certain components (BCM and SRS). And where it lets me connect I am getting fault codes on the replaced BCM and rear SAM. It also gave me a fault code on the Steering column module. I guess that is why there is no response from the blinkers, full beam and steeringwheel buttons? Is there a easy way to test if these modules actually work or if its the wiring? Is there any chance that the workshop provided the previous owner with faulty modules? Ill post pictures later today of the fault codes that I am able to read.
I am sorry for my terrible english :/
All answers are appreciated. Feel free to ask questions!
battery voltage is critical any drop in supply causes this .
check all electrical connections are clean and well made.
use a battery you KNOW is good.
check fuses
use a meter to check voltages through the car
check there is no major discharge from battery with everything off.
look for water on electrics
check auxiliary battery (at base of windscreen under bonnet passenger side ) for condition/voltage.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:13 AM
L J

S211 2004 E220cdi
Rear battery is good, front battery measures good. I had someone i met on a Norwegian facebook group come look at it, and he was convinced that it might be some module with water damage, loose connection, or bad earth point somewhere (he had alot of experience with w/s211 electrical issiues). So i guess ill have alot of work ahed of me haha Besides from all the electrics having gone haywire i love the car
Old 02-14-2019, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 255 Likes on 233 Posts
2001 E320 Wagon, 2006 LBZ Silverado, 2007 E63 (sold), 2001 E55 (sold)
Originally Posted by L J
Today i noticed that the car in question (the car that op i stalking about), wont turn off front right park light, and rear right tail lamp is flickering. This is with key out, lights and car off..
This might be a stupid question, but are the lights turned off? If you turn the headlight switch to the left from straight up it will turn on the city light on one side or the other.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 751 Likes on 699 Posts
2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500

You probably bought a nightmare flooder. You will need new front and rear SAMs and Central Gateway Module located under the left front seat and there are other module located there,

There are other modules located under both rear seats and the spare tire area.
Attached Files
Old 09-23-2019, 11:34 AM
ot1

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by L J
Rear battery is good, front battery measures good. I had someone i met on a Norwegian facebook group come look at it, and he was convinced that it might be some module with water damage, loose connection, or bad earth point somewhere (he had alot of experience with w/s211 electrical issiues). So i guess ill have alot of work ahed of me haha Besides from all the electrics having gone haywire i love the car
Are you using a Star SDS or another code reader? possible whoever replaced the battery initially put it in backwards and popped out some modules. If you have scope experience look on the CAN buses for trouble.

Last edited by ot1; 09-23-2019 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 751 Likes on 699 Posts
2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
Here are the descriptions of the modules under the seat:

A251 870 66 89 Front Sound Amp

A251 820 13 89 Rear Sound Amp

A164 540 56 62 Central Gateway

A164 545 33 16 Parktronic