E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Front Door with KG won't stay closed!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 08:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lexus IS
Front Door with KG won't stay closed!

I have a 2009 e350 with keyless go.. my driver side front and rear door have had issues with keyless go since I purchased the vehicle. Car was read with a STAR computer which pointed to a module in the door. No big deal I can live without it. I haven't driven the car in 4 days and tonight I let her run for about 15 minutes. After i shut the car off and locked it with the remote, before I can even walk away, the unlock beep sounds and the driver door pops open. This happened for about 5 minutes until I started the car with the key, shut off, locked and ran away. Could it be that my door handle is thinking it's being pressed, and opening?
Old 03-04-2019, 03:33 AM

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
2009 e550 4Matic
*edit* I was incorrect *edit*

See bbirdwell below.

Last edited by rodneypierce; 03-04-2019 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 927 Likes on 719 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
It is possible you have a defective door handle. Here is a description of how the keyless go functions...

https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-...ml#post7647270
Old 03-04-2019, 10:50 AM

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
2009 e550 4Matic
Originally Posted by bbirdwell
It is possible you have a defective door handle. Here is a description of how the keyless go functions...

https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-...ml#post7647270
So by that description, there is no mechanical linkage to the latch? So if the door handle stops communicating, you cant open the door???
Old 03-04-2019, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 927 Likes on 719 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
That is just the keyless go. To open the latch, there is the internal handle that pulls on a cable that unlocks the door lock plus releases the door latch, the external handle releases the door latch, and the keyless go option has a solenoid that releases the door latch immediately after the door lock is unlocked electronically. The locking mechanism is a rotary wheel with pegs that will engage a pivoting locking mechanism to pivot the mechanism up or down to lock the door. I disassembled mine due to the "woodpecker" effect of the door lock bouncing in an attempt to see how the door latch assembly worked and to determine if it could be repaired. I decided it is non-repairable due to the close tolerance riveted assemblies. It's a pretty impressive assembly.
Door handle is about $200 and can be replaced in 30 minutes if you have the tools and patience, internal latch assembly is about $300 and takes a few hours to replace (window removal, rivets to drill out and replace, window trim removal and lots of levering in/out of place). You could always remove the door handle, disconnect the connector for it, then reinstall the door handle. If the switch is what is bad then it would now be out of circuit. If the problem stops, it's the door handle.

Door lock rod is at 2:00, internal cable release at 4:00, keyless-go solenoid at 8:00, external release lever underneath at 11:00 in this photo.

EDIT: added view of the latch assembly's internal handle cable release connection to the release lever.

Side view, outside of door would be down in this photo, bottom of door would be to the right in this photo.

Parts removed to show action of the locking mechanism. CCW to lock, CW to unlock. Ramp to right of the text is how the internal handle release unlocks the door prior to releasing the latch. A pin on the lever is pulled under the ramp and lifts it. That lever was removed for this photo.

Last edited by bbirdwell; 03-04-2019 at 04:46 PM.